Why in Blender 2.73 the Viewport is extremly slow ?

Hi

I just did an Update from Blender 2.72b to 2.73.
But when I open my 2.72b-Scene then Blender is extremly slow in Viewport.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem ?

Kind regards
Alain

PS. Meanwhile I did downgrade to Blender 2.72b and everthing works fine.

I experienced the same thing the first time I opened 2.73, but now it’s not happening. It was almost like Blender adapted to something specific on my computer, strange as that may sound.

The only significant difference between your set up and mine is my main GFX card. Perhaps the TITAN isn’t handling the new 900 series code well because of the different chipset? I don’t know.

Yes I noticed too, it,s not so slow , about 5 frames in a couple scenes I tested.
Windows 8.1 x64 , Nvidia drivers 344.75

Same drivers I use, but on Win7 x64.

I’m not sure if it’s version or just blender, but framerate is merciless.

scene 700k faces: camera animation on about 12-15fps on shaded. On wireframe is smooth.

I’ll have to check GPU drivers (GTX970), but: same scene imported to 3dsMax and it’s 200fps… (I… dislike MAX…to put it lightly… but it’s hell of a difference).

Same scene exported to obj, and imported back to blend fresh scene: same result.

And it’s a $3k PC…

It s not just you. Blender devs and those from gsoc2014 ( faik still current work_ are working on speeding up viewport, to replace OLD code.

Trouble is , it will only help you, if your mesh has used subdivide modifier, and mine isn’t.

My 475tri mesh does fine in object mode rotation, but when going to edit mode, its impossible to work with.

Any idea how to resolve this ? Until I can, no blender for me.

Athlon X3 3.2 ghz, 8gb ram windows 8.1 64bit , and amd HD 77560 2gb.

And btw just for reference only, modo handles this same mesh with ease in edit mode etc.

I do have VBO on in prefs, as well as opencl use , tried all 3 settings and stilll no luck.

HOpe somebody has an idea, been dealing with this forever.

Thanks for any advice!

Nope… Thats a different project entirely… OpenSubDiv will help with subsurf modifiers and viewport speed… the viewport project which was started in 2012, continued in 2013 and 2014… is currently been working on and has nothing to do with subsurf modifiers.

When I’ll get raise, I promise I’ll subscribe to fudation, just to support those projects.

Ok thx, I must have confused the two, something I found browsing on one of these threads, ugh :wink:

THX :wink:
caj

Btw, my friend brought over his laptop , intel i3 HD 4000, and I had him download blender, and I loaded my 1.03tri mesh which on my desktop is non functional in edit mode ( far too slow now), and while rotating model in edit mode on his laptop was still slow, it was definitely better than my desktop system, and my gpu is a HD 7750 2gb which should be a lot faster than his HD 4000 right ? No idea cpu wize, mine is amd Athlon X3 3.2ghz.

Is blender partial to intel & NVidia components or something ? I know they are working on older GL code as I understand it . I checked this out : http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/243/AMD_Athlon_II_X3_450_vs_Intel_Core_i3_i3-4150.html < turns out the i3 is about ish 50% faster overall , but m y GPU is vastly superior to what my friend had. I would have thought my gpu being far more powerful than the HD 4000 would mean my system should be fine in edit mode but its not. Are intels drivers possibly that much better than amd or does intel make significant gains with the i3 , enough to make the gpu comparison irrelevant ?

I’ve no idea here, I can ran cinema 4d and it FLYS in edit mode , but trying to rotate my mesh, 1mil verts and all, and I can’t even see mesh MOVE as I rotate view with mouse. Given c4d experience that and meshmixer, I know its not my hardware :wink: I wish there was a fix because I want to use blender and keep supporting OSS/free software, cause well Im poor and its all I got, and its the right thing to do as well.

Thx anyone

So nobody has anything for me, no suggestions how to make blender as fast as other expensive 3d apps, or even as fast as meshmixer , which is free ?

I want blender to succeed, it offers ‘poor’ folk like me, the chance to be somebody, to put forwards ideas that might make all our future a little better or even GREAT, but I’m stuck for now, because a high res mesh and blender do not mix it seems. Yes I could spend $10/mo on maya LT, but its not like maya isn’t without its OWN miserable problems, 3d is complex :wink:

TO date as noted, I’ve had the best experience I Meshmixer, a autodesk application, that and sculptris has been my life saver !

Both apps have helped me tremendously, but I got my start with blender along time ago, and it offers those like me who are poor as dirt to level the playing field and jump for joy because its my turn to do something exceptional, but I can’t.

if there is no suggestion how I made blender ‘Fast’ as hell at least in edit mode sculpting whatever they took away brush toplogy so its lame, is there at least a verifiable ISH date, for when project X , etal, are going to roll out a fix for blender, so its as fast and efficient, with my current reasonably fast hardware ?

Yes, IF I had a ‘power rig’ this post would never have been made I suppose, but I"ve seen people with fairly powerful systems and crippled like I am in blender.

My rig is far too complex to break into pieces, tried that once miserable experience,- its just far too complex to do it, 1mil verts.

This is not a whine, more a SOS for help :wink:

Thx

Thank you for sharing :slight_smile:

Same problem persist in the new version.

My station:

In a scene with more than 800.000 tris it’s super fluid but working in edit mode inside the highest poly mesh it’s super slow moving even one single vertex.

Hope they fix this as it seems a weak point of this amazing software.

o m gosh, I use the same 2.76b, and overall it works great, I rarely if ever see a crash, so that’s one great thing blender devs can hang their hats on :wink:

I’m SO thankful that you sent this, because I was going to get a gtx ‘something’, and try to increase my power for edting, but it seems that would have been a complete waste of what money I have.

TY so much, you are a lifesaver.

Cheers
Desoto

Editmode will be sped up as soon as it has VBO support (which is a rendering technique that makes the display of graphics much faster).

It doesn’t have that right now, so it remains slow. Also, another thing that remains slow is the rendering of particle systems due to the lack of hardware instancing.

I noticed you had the particle system ON. Clicking the eye hide the part system, helps sometime. Children, display and render set 1. 3000 particles is max for me for a head of hair. Windows for me on cpu is slow but it depends on the project, presently working on 250000 faces and 3 particle systems. Multi res i can on divide 2 times. I try not to have both on at same time. My biggest lag has been from small programs running in back ground , my biggest problem was listening to music. I’m cool when the music is playing but when the track changes everything slows down. If blender is on auto save or I save just after the music changes i notice a huge lag. I was able to use the make human project and animate with a particle system weighted a few years ago just fine but i was only using 1 part. Testing 3 and system acts like its interacting with the animation in a bad way but i don’t have the hair weighted down.

UPDATE

As I was experiencing also slow selection of objects in object mode.

For this I’ve found the solution here https://www.blender.org/manual/troubleshooting/3d_view.html

OpenGL Occlusion Queries (User Preference)
See User Preferences ‣ System ‣ Selection

This option defaults Automatic, try setting this to OpenGL Occlusion Queries, since there is a significant performance difference under some configurations.