Which version to use, and what to do?

Okay, so I checked out the Blender for Dummies book, which includes a CD with version 2.48 of Blender. So I installed it.
But that’s an older version. Does that make it obsolete?
Because if I use that version, the book will make a lot of more sense to me.
But on the other hand, I also installed Blender 2.73, which is the latest build of Blender. And that version has more features since it’s newer.
What does that mean then? :confused:

Take the book to your local charity shop and use blender 2.73 which is easier to learn for new users than 2.48
(blender 2.48 is over 6 years old and wasn’t even the latest version from the 2.4 series which was before the major 2.5 update).

There are plenty of online resources to help you learn the current version of blender, much more than the old 2.4 versions.

If you want that book then there is a 2nd edition updated with blender 2.56 that should still be useful for use with the latest blender versions.

For what it’s worth, there was a second edition of Blender For Dummies released a few years ago and it covers changes added since 2.5. And later this year (my guess is around April/May), a 3rd edition is scheduled for release.

There’s a lot of general information in the first edition that’s still transferable to the current version, but there are still enough significant changes between 2.4x and the current versions that if you’re just starting, you can get yourself confused rather quickly.

diaz, fweeb is the author of your book. take his advice.

Well jeezus sorry i ever asked

It was a library book.