Rendering with amd cards?

I tried, it crashed. So what do I do?

I have a AMD r9 280 gigabyte card, and a amd fx-6300 processor.

I think you need to use the processor. Select it in render settings. or get a cuda card. I think, therefor maybe.

Hi, the latest cards are working, kind of, with the latest Beta drivers from AMD.
What is crashing on what OS, you get error messages?

Cheers, mib

R9 280, it’s pretty new. I have the latest drivers, don’t know about beta drivers. Uh blender just closes when I try to render with gpu + cpu…

AMD GPU rendering is still not officially supported with Cycles, and likely will not be any time in the near future.

Half of the community uses AMD cards rather than nividia… So why not?

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.6/Source/Render/Cycles/OpenCL

Short answer? Because AMD sucks at having working OpenCL and drivers despite years of promising a fix. Long answer? Read the “Good News AMD!” thread.

Spoiler: There’s no good news.

This isn’t a Blender-only problem, btw. There are NO renderers with support for a production feature set that support OpenCL on the AMD GPUs. Hop over to ompf2 some time to see lots of render developers raging over AMD.

I see, and there is no work around?

AMD thinks that splitting the kernel into smaller subkernels will help Cycles compile on their OCL compiler, and announced on the mailing list a few months ago that they would begin experimenting with that… and then promptly disappeared and haven’t made a peep since. If I were a betting man I’d bet on them not making much progress since then, but I’d like to be proven wrong.

Unfortunately, for now the best work around is “buy an Nvidia card” :frowning:

Never! Well maybe, depends on if I really need the extra power it the future…

I wouldn’t invest in GPU rendering at all right now unless you’re interested in stills only. The field is changing too quickly to rely on today’s cards working tomorrow, not to mention the same old memory and feature set issues that plague every GPU path tracer.

I sympathize. I have a bunch of AMD cards laying around that I would love to use. But I bought a cheap Nvidia 750ti on sale for Christmas, and now my renders are 3 times faster, and the Cycles viewport mode is actually usable.