Woven nylon fabric test

So this is an attempt at a photoreal nylon fabric (as used in backpacks, duffel bags, that sort of thing.)

I used a very high-detail normal map and then a mix of glossy and diffuse for this. Nothing too fancy.

My idea here was simply to use microscopic surface details to build up a realistic macroscopic render. I modeled the woven fabric down to the thread, and then used a normal map based on that.

Any ideas on how to improve realism, especially in terms of the shader settings?

add’l test with particle system for loose threads. Overall, not sure what is lacking… anything? Maybe the lighting is just too artificial?

Material looks good, from what I can see. Put it in a more interesting shape to show it off a bit better!

Very nice! Can’t think of how to improve it. Could you post the post the normal map and node setup for us?

Sure, will post when I am finally satisfied with it… here is the most recent test render… still tweaking…

Thx. Very convincing! Really liking it. :slight_smile:

Try a background that is not stark black and white. That might be giving it a ‘CG’ look.

I took a look at some nylon fabric images. They seem to have a macro glossiness that yours lacks. Can you give it some stronger highlights at the whole piece level rather than the threads?

I’ve actually been trying to avoid the macro glossiness because of the (IRL) reference I am using seems to lack them. Others seem to have more: http://www.amazon.com/JanSport-Superbreak-Classic-Backpack-Black/dp/B0007QCQGI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1420869147&sr=8-2&keywords=backpack

Probably the artificial lighting /backgrounds are hurting me here. I’m going to redo the normal map one more time and then take another crack at the material settings with that. Will report back with results.