Where do you get your resources?

I’d just like to ask where you guys get your resources from, or if you make them. Resources such as textures or sounds, things that can’t effectively be produce inside of blender(at-least not for the game engine.) If you do happen to make textures, what software do you use? If you happen to make sounds or music, same question applies.

I make my 3d models, I mainly take images from cgtextures.com, but sometimes from other sites (I always check the license), to edit the images I take from the web I use gimp and photoshop.

you can use blender to make generated textures, then bake them to a uv map,

as for sounds, you can make them, or freesound.org is nice

also, you can use 1 set of uv mapped textures (overlapping) to bake clean uv’s later.

where do i get them

from behind my eyes

i make them

or
if i am using REAL WORLD things like a real asteroid that we have REAL data on
i get it from NASA , JPL, or PDS

I create them, use assets from the resource forum here and blend swap.
for sound, either freesound.co.uk or soundbible.

I take models from blend swap, that are very high poly, render a view of them from the right angle, decimate, credit and add to my game :smiley:

also, making a normal map, and then selecting sections and painting over in gimp works well

so you have Normal -> Diffuse

I still don’t get how to make spec maps,

Do you make textures? I make my models, but texturing is a different story…

yeah watch this

I make everything. Main software:

• Blender (Gimp)
  • Gimp (Textures)
  • Audacity (Sound)
  • LMMS (Music)

Main hardware:

• Graphics Tablet (Textures)
  • Camera (Textures)
  • Microphone (Sounds/music)

Main wetware:

• Brain
  • Hand
  • Eye
  • Ears

Anything I can’t make, I research it until I can.

The way to make something isn’t to find the correct software to make it in, but to analyse the subject so that you can identify the key components. In falling water drips, it’s the upward pitch after each drip. On a wood texture, it’s that the bumps aren’t necessarily where the grain is.
Everything can be analysed, and thus made.

Anytime I search for gimp tutorials, I always end up with IMVU garbage(not that it is literally garbage, but it is seriously annoying when looking for realistic texture tutorials…)… Thanks for introducing me to LMMS, I’ve been looking for something like this.

Did not add and baked in generated maps in this one, but if it’s unwrapped, you can then bake your generated maps to a different map then the normal map

Unless you specifically want hand painted textures, I suggest using a texture site such as cgtextures.com. If I need any spec, normal, diffuse, height maps etc. I suggest using a gimp plugin such as insane bump.

Gimp and/or PS for textures or objects.
CGTexture or my camera for textures and objects, I also find objects on the net to reference from. (Photobucket for ex.)
Crazy Bump for normal. spec, displacement, occlusion, diffuse
for sound I use Audacity, or Soundforge. or my camcorder, which does a decent job recording sound. Or Freesounds.org.
I make my own models in Blender. And use the texture paint tool in Blender often.
I also use stuff from tutorialsforblender3d.com

For texturing I usually use texture painting. Like this:

You can easily get images from Google image search. If you do that, you can select what kind of license to search for in the advanced settings tab:

Once you start painting with the textures the lose all resemblance to the original file anyway.
If you want to make other textures like the normal map, you could use BluePrintRandom’s suggestion of baking normals, or use crazybump or something like that.

I usually paint my textures on to a low poly model, but you could easily make a high poly model, paint it with generic materials and then bake it out to a low poly model.

For those using sites like CGTextures, please note that the GPL nature of the BGE pretty much limits you to using resources with open licenses such as Creative Commons (as many texture sites have license clauses that forbid redistribution of textures and you pretty much redistribute them by default with BGE games because the source has to remain open). You can always try to say they’re not for redistribution, but you can’t enforce that and some may end up taking the resource for use in his own project.

As for me, I have Genetica 4, Mapzone, Paint Shop Pro 7, and Mixcraft 7 for texture and sound effect/music creation, so I make most of my own stuff.

Some stuff here I never thought about doing. Thanks!

Yep, I do everything myself. Blender, GIMP for texturing, Sunvox for music and sound. I haven’t tried ChirpLab, but it seems like it might be pretty good.

My game files are not compiled directly. I use a launch file that calls it as an external file, thus it avoids inheriting the license of blender.

That’s a good one. I’ve been using it for years.

For those using sites like CGTextures, please note that the GPL nature of the BGE pretty much limits you to using resources with open licenses such as Creative Commons (as many texture sites have license clauses that forbid redistribution of textures and you pretty much redistribute them by default with BGE games because the source has to remain open). You can always try to say they’re not for redistribution, but you can’t enforce that and some may end up taking the resource for use in his own project.

AFAIK CGTextures just has a thumb at the unaltered work. They want to stop competitors that uses their textures by that. Means you are fine to create a character using the CGTextures as a base, and provide this character then. Would be crazy when not, since quite a few artists sells their work at pages like Turbosquid.

Unaltered terrain textures for example are problematic though.