Make object particles (as hairs) align with object?

A simple example of what I’m thinking of:

• I have a long cylinder that has many curves in it
  • I would like to add a particle system (hair, using objects for particles, where the objects are little arrows).
  • I would like the arrows to be flat on the surface of the cylinder and all to point along the curve of the cylinder in one consistent direction (i.e. you could follow the arrows from start of cylinder to end).

I don’t know if this is possible, but I’m wondering if there might be a way? Getting the objects to be flat on the faces of the cylinder is fine, but having some kind of consistent arrow direction has eluded me so far. Combing is not an option for the project, it will be too complicated for that.

Cheers,

Matt

In your particle settings check the box marked Advanced up at the top. There will be a new pane below called Rotation. Activate it. There’s a dropdown menu in that pane labeled Initial Orientation, set by default to Particle/Hair. Change this to one of the object’s axes, depending on which direction on the cylinder you want the particles to follow. Most likely you want Object Z.

Thanks, this worked for simple cylinders, but not for more complex objects that were originally based on cylinders. I’ll have to have a think of alternatives.

I’m guessing that you’re talking about an object that has curves and bends in it, and you want the arrows to follow those? Particles may not be the best solution at all if something like that is what you’re after.