Copy/Paste Mirror Pose Problem

I created this simple rig to experiment with hips and legs, and it has a simple animation. I’ve found though that for some reason, if I copy one of the keyframes and then “paste mirror”, the bone called “Hips” is ignored and has to be adjusted manually to the correct (inverse) rotation. I can’t figure out why this isn’t working. Any ideas, anyone?

HipTest0100.blend (503 KB)

Setting your hip bone’s roll to 0 degrees will fix it.

The hip bone is rolled 90 degrees. Center (not R or L) bones will flip the pose on their local Z and Y axis but not X. Notice your other center bone (“bone”) will not paste flipped a rotation front to back (its local X axis).

First with armature selected look in Properties > Armature > Display and select the Axes checkbox. This will show each bones axes when you are in pose or edit mode. You’ll notice your hip bone is rolled 90 degrees so its local x axis is pointing forward instead of to the side like the others. Correct it in edit mode via Properties > Bone > Transform > Roll

or in Properties Shelf > Transform > Roll (Key N in the 3Dview) or in the 3Dview menu Armature > Bone Roll which gives 2 menu items: Set Roll with mouse (Ctrl R is the shortcut) or Recalculate Bone Roll (Ctrl N) > Global Z or Y will do here.

Sorry if overkill here. I try to list all places a setting or feature is found. For the lurkers/searchers if not you. For those with shortcutitis. :wink:

-LP

Thank you, yes that fixed it!