Maschinengewehr 42(finished!)

Hi, I’m currently working on a German Maschinengewehr 42(MG 42) and I decided to post some WIP images to stop me from procrastinating. I’m working on this project in my spare time so I wont be able to work on it every day, but I’ll try to keep a steady income of updates^^

The machine gun was designed in Nazi Germany and was used by the Wermacht during WW2. The MG 42 had one of the highest rate of fire of any singe-barreled man portable machine gun, it could fire between 1200 and 1500 rounds per minute(twice the rate of the Vickers and Browning machine guns).

Here are a few WIP images, tell me if you want me to post images showing close ups of the topology etc. Comments and criticism is appreciated:)

Attachments

I’m no weapon expert, but I do recognize a MG 42 when I see one. Looks like it’s shaping up very nicely, I suppose you are going to texture this too? Also, out of curiosity, what’s the polycount so far? It looks pretty detailed :slight_smile:

Thanks^^
Polycount so far is about 380k verts. I’m going to add textures when the modelling is done^^

wow. good modeling!
when its textured it is gonna be pretty real looking :slight_smile:

tiny modeling details that may or may not be important:

your model is really detailed already though :slight_smile:

It’s still a WIP, lots of details missing, but thanks for reminding me of the missing bits^^ There is also many different versions of the parts, even tho they are on the same model, for example the muzzle part:

The ammunition belt is done:)

wow. such detail!
:smiley:

Wow, very impressive! Great job. :slight_smile:

You might want to consider dupliverts for the ammunition belt. I expect it will greatly reduce the render time.

Thanks for the comments:)
macktruck6666: Thanks for the duplivert suggestion, it will definitely come in handy when I’m going to render the ammo chain^^

Added the bolt handle today^^

Nicely done, it is coming along very well (amno are great) ! Keep up the good work.

Thanks ookka^^

EPIC! Awesome modeling; can’t wait to see it textured. Dem bullets look lethal!!

Thanks coolfield7^^

Makes me want to make another gun

Thanks^^ You should make another gun, practise makes perfect:D

Your attention to detail is making for an excellent model. The ammo belt is awesome.
It would be interesting to see somemore wireframe renders to see how you used those 380k verts.

Thanks stevx^^

Sorry for the late respond, I haven’t really had the time to work on this project lately:p Here is some wireframes pictures as requested^^

I added a handle that they used to change the gun barrel^^

It’s really amazing and well-detailed project. New AO in Viewport looks really good. Keep it up!