daz3d simple export / import

Hey there,

I lately had to use Daz3d for a project and really failed to export models from there and import them into blender.
I tried 2 solutions. One is the Khalibloo Panel and script. Which worked somehow but with much work. The other is the mcjTeleBlender which didn’t export in the end. Can not exactly say what is going wrong.

Is there another way or working workflow which is working or maybe a bit simpler?
I need the morphs and materials and the morphed clothes out of Daz3d. Rigging would also be nice but is not a must have.

Any ideas?

Have you consider using Makehuman. I find the integration better.

I would really love to use an open-source software. I will search a way to use Daz§d Character and cloth inside Makehuman. Thanks for the hint.

I think simpo was suggesting you use Makehuman models with Blender, rather than Daz3D models. I am not surprised you find it difficult to get Daz3D models out of Daz Studio. Good luck.

Hey, I could successfully import the exported models to other 3d Software. Just failed with blender. I have to use Daz3d because it has some cloth I need to use. I think if the mcjTeleBlender would work its a not to hard task.
Anyone has experience with the mcjTeleBlender script for export and import? It opens but but the final export fails. No file gets exported.

I also have things designed for DazStudio that I would like to export into Blender, for me the rigging is important. I can export in collada which creates a single object that imports easily into Blender but without armature. (using other format creates an import in multiple objects that JOIN doesn’t really join - putting an armature in it pulls the various objects apart at their joins.)

I would like to re-use the investment that I have made, not just in a large portfolio of models but characters that I have used in previous animation that I would like to animate in Blender.

Anyone know a way to do this?

mcjteleblender is very much version-specific, so you need to have the version which supports the version of Blender you are using - I think the latest mcjteleblender was for 2.72.

I would also be interested in finding a method of importing Daz or Poser figures, with armature, into Blender because Rigify and automatic weight-mapping don’t work with these figures.

Hi there, don’t know if you still trying to get this to work but I was just testing the mcj options since the textures from MH are not very good and it takes a lot of time and experience to paint them - even with blenders great projection painting tools… For some odd reason the TeleBlender exporter needs an .obj file to exist before it will export to the existing scene to that same obj - which it then modifies … All i had to do is export some part of the scene to and OBJ and then in the mcj export options down at the bottom browse and select that obj and viola it works great. Only down side to this is that no armature is exported but that can be easily worked arround by export your charachter in a .dae collada format and then importing that file into the same blend and under object options selecting copy all materials to selected and then you’ll have a fully rigged and cycles renderable character !!

Sorry, I don’t quite follow :slight_smile:

When using Teleblender, the scene opens automatically in Blender, ready to be rendered in Cycles(without rigging). If i export a figure as .dae, then import into the same blend scene, I don’t get any option to “copy all materials to selected”. The .dae comes in as a separate figure, with posable rigging and Blender internal materials, ready to render, but not in Cycles.

Right! exactly what you want, see the pic for the actual location of that command I mentioned just didn’t remember exactly what it was called.
All you have to do is select the .dae figure first than shift select the other one and follow the commands in the pic… this will copy the cycles mats from your teleblend to your dae character which should be exactly the same mesh and UV’s and you will then simply delete the teleblend mesh or move/whatever… OH and might want to delete the materials from the .dae character prior to copying just to avoid confusion later…

Thanks for the explanation - I thought you meant an import setting. This works, just needs some tweaking on the mats :slight_smile:

DAZ Studio (e.g. 4.8) Collada export does export armature,
but only if you export an animation! :cool:

Not entirely true. You’ll get an armature whether you export the animation or not, and you’ll just get a T-Pose if you don’t export the animation. Collada works well but you’ll have to fix all the materials that have transparency (eyes, hair, etc.).