Introduction to Character Creation

Hi there, welcome to this series on creating a simple character in blender. This series will cover modelling, texturing, rigging and animation. Please post a comment if you have any questions, feedback (is my teaching any good?? :slight_smile: ), and finally if there is anything else you’d like me to cover (I do Unity game tutorials too).

Full character creation playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFt_AvWsXl0fEx02iXR8uhDsVGhmM9Pse

Episode one
Download files (reference images and the finished result from part one)

This next part covers UV mapping
You can download finished result from this episode here if you wish.

I will have to add this to the list of things to keep an eye on. I say keep at it

Thanks jeffreywvgd
I’ve uploaded rigging part one and two:

Hi

Many thanks for these very instructive and easy to understand lesson…Love them…)

Tai

Thanks for the video, very helpful content.

Glad you’re enjoying them Taipan and Discovery!
Here is episode 5: animating a walk cycle

I just completed the first part of the tutorial. My result isn’t as nice as yours but since it’s the third thing I did in Blender so far, I’m quite happy with the result.

Are you planning on adding any more to this series? I’ve always been curious how to transition from one animation cycle to another to make a scene. If you’re looking for suggestions. LOL

That looks great Discovery; if this is only your third project in blender you’re certainly learning a lot faster than I did! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestion ifcruickshank. What I’m probably going to do next is show how to set the character up in a game engine like Unity (since my channel is pretty game dev focused), but after that I think it would be a very cool idea to go through making a small animated short with this character in blender to show what you’re asking + other stuff of course.

Thanks for the info and the tutorials. I’ll keep my eye out for more.

Thank you for this tutorial ! :D… i will start to learn now!

I <3 Blender

Very nice introduction to box modeling and UV texturing. The Photoshop part went a bit quickly, though, so you might want to reference some other tutorial that covers what you did in Photoshop (setting up layers, cut and paste, naming layers, modes) and possibly also in Gimp, for those of us who don’t use Photoshop.

Here is my version, through Episode 2. I did make some changes… :smiley:

Setting up the foot bone mechanism is quite difficult to follow. I think it might be a better idea, in a beginner’s tutorial, to use the panels to set up parents and constraints, rather than using the keyboard shortcuts, which go by rather quickly in a video. Since the video is already made, though, it would be helpful if there was a list of all the foot bones with their parents and constraints, so I could check to see where I missed something.

Thanks for the helpful feedback Orinoco, and your version looks super cool :slight_smile:

A new episode on animating a run cycle:

Posting here to make thread easy to find. Looking forward to these tuts, thanks very much for posting.

Thank you, just what I need, simple and fun :smiley: