BGMC 14 | Whale Race

Inspired by Wave race http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_Race_64
… but with Whales.

The objective: WIN
Plenty of random stuff with no meaning. Enjoy!

Didn’t quite meet the max texture requirements, but it’s by no means HD. Also used multitexture.

Audio: George
Models and textures: Austin
Other stuff: Myself

CONTROLS
A: Turn left
D: Turn Right
S: Stop swimming
Space: Rise to surface (handy for evading traffic jams)

DOWNLOAD (Blender 2.72 recommended, but most things work in 2.69)
https://pqftgs.net/downloads/games/WhaleRace-Source.zip

Sorry for the large download. There be lots o’ fat to trim.

This was fun, although I found it to be quite hard, especially trying to finish without being disqualified! I’m curious as to what the “oil consumed” property is for, as it was always stuck on 0, also when does the harpoon boat decide to show up?
Trying to move around stubborn AI was annoying but I guess that is what jumping is for!

Pretty fun game, good luck in the contest!

Hey! Thanks for the review.
“Oil consumed” is the leftovers of a gameplay mechanic that never saw the light of day. Kept it anyway, just because it was silly.

The harpoon boat starts a ways behind the player and moves pretty slow. Didn’t have time to code the full glory it deserved, so it’s just kinda… there.

Eating the giant krill in the first level doesn’t really matter either.

And oh, those pesky AI…
I eventually mastered the art of gliding over them (after playtesting dozens of times) and do admit their physics are a bit wonky.
Had there been more time, I’d have made nice rigid bodies with cool buoyancy effects.

Anyway thanks for playing and good luck to you as well!

I thought it was great. I especially liked the sounds and music.

The little crowd of Inuits watching the race was cool too. I really like that you got around to making two levels. I wanted to do more myself but there’s just not enough time in one week to get it all done. :slight_smile:

It could do with some visual feedback to show when you have passed a checkpoint, I couldn’t tell if I’d caught it or not and sometimes ones that seemed like I should have passed them were counted as missed.

Other than that I really enjoyed it.

Great game, I have the wave race game for gamecube currently, and this was a good remake, but I did not understand full power, plus some of the turns were difficult to see the check points.

i knew whales were singing but now they do also races … by the way, yeah it is a quiet funny little game. But enemys were cheating, ignoring the waypoints! I want them to be disqualified and my price back. :wink:

Nice job was fun to play, especially loved all the text in the second level. Always like to have some strange humor and easter eggs in games.