Increase softbody curve collision distance

I am using softbodies on a curve. The curve is extruded/beveled into a cylinder. I want the curve to collide with another object. The collision works, but currently, the cylinder clips into the collision object. This is because it calculates the collision based on the curve strand, not the extruded size. I could convert to a mesh, but then the bake time would take ages.

What I would like to do is change the collision size of the curve so that it roughly matches the size of the extruded cylinder. There does not seem to be any way to do this, but I want to check that I’m not missing anything. I know in cloth sim I can change collision distance, and I can change the collision padding on the collision object, but that creates problems for other collisions. I can also change the size in softbody self collision, but that only affects itself. Anybody know a way to handle this, or a work around?

Hi,

Do you have a .blend file you can share?
I am using Blender 2.73 and I cannot get a curve {I assume you mean a Bezier curve} with a bevel and soft body physics to collide with anything!
The softbody curve strand falls through any collision object

One workaround might be to create an ‘invisible’ {not rendered} bounding object that has the collision physics, and then have the strand constrained to the strand position

Best of luck

Martin

Hi,

I do not have a convenient file to share. Have you checked to make sure that your curve and collision object are on the same layer? An invisible bounding object can work, but I ended up using a forcefield to fake the collision.