BGMC 14 | Jetpack platformer

Also known as MARS: MYSTERY OF THE ROBOTS

The original file, as submitted for the contest is here.

I’ve done some more work on the game and you can get an expanded version with 3 new levels here.

For people who’d like to try the game without Blender, here is a windows only executable.

Something has gone wrong with the robots on Mars. Get in to the secure facility, pick up the top secret data and get it back to the exit, without dying.

I’ve made a lot of changes based on feedback from people who played the game. Thanks to everyone for your feedback, it’s always welcome. :slight_smile:

Here’s a video of the final version of the game:

awsome!

only crit, if you are even a tiny bit over 3 tiles you die,

So, if you bounce on a ledge and then fall 3 tiles, the bounce height is enough to kill you. (like a 1 inch difference)

maybe have a value subtracted from health, rather then a flat ‘kill you’ ?

I can’t seem to get the player to move…
the only thing that works is the pause button

me too, player wont move, is this a windows version?

Can’t move in 2.69, but 2.72 works. Fedora 20

damn, ok, I tried 2.68

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I’ll make some changes and reupload tonight.

its for blender 2.72, I think there have been some changes recently which have stopped backwards compatability. If you’re using an older version did you try rebinding the keyboard, and were there any errors?

Very cool game!
My only critiques are that touching dead enemies inflicts some damage on the player, and that sometimes, when landing on the edge of a block, the player character gets stuck for a while.

Thanks. :slight_smile:
There’s code to address the edge sticking issue but it was worked on again late last night so it might not be working 100%.

The dead enemies causing damage issue should be easy to fix.

There’s a timer which checks how long you’ve been falling. it only resets when on_ground is true. If the timer goes over a certain limit you enter the crashing state which is fatal. I may reset the timer if you bounce on an edge too, which would fix some associated problems.

It is a great game, I had a little bit of difficulty jumping because it did not respond very quickly, and I was wondering if all of the enemies can be killed, because the first enemy I ran into did not die even after me shooting it several times.

Tested, it works (2.72b,xubuntu 14). I like it a lot, nice job.

The style of play is based on a very old game called flashback (EDIT: The original, not the 3d remake from 2013 which I wasn’t aware of). Actions are a little delayed from your input so you have to take that in to consideration. Timing is very important.

About the enemies… They can all be killed but the pistol is not really effective. It does slow enemies down however perhaps giving you a chance to jump over them.

A new version of the game posted in the first post.
Fixes some bugs, but still only really suited to Blender 2.72, sorry.

If you can’t play it or have trouble beating the game, here’s a walkthrough on youtube:

BTW, the sounds are a little quiet. If you can’t hear them you’ll need to turn up your speaker a little. All the enemies create a little ambient noise which gives a strange mechanical ambiance to the level. If I had more time I’d probably add some more intermittent ambient sound sources to fill up the sound scape.

oops, I messed up and left a couple of testing weapons in the update. I’ll clean it up tonight.

Wow this game was awesome, but really hard. I think the delay when jumping was a bit annoying and also that there were no check points. System-wise I think it would have been nicer if the game reset once you died, but with the same settings so you don’t have to keep resetting them. Definitely the best game of BGMC 14 so far!

Thanks, I wanted to have a check point system, but it’s only one level, so I decided (time constraints in mind) to make it hardcore difficult. :slight_smile: Just be thankful I didn’t have time to add the ceiling spikes like I wanted.

I’ve uploaded a fix in the first post getting rid of the flamer and SMG which had been placed in the first room for balance testing.
I added an extra player state to make it easier to hop up on to single tile walls, and gave the flamer faster shooting bullets and the SMG slower reloading, but more powerful ones. Now there’s actually a use for the flamer. I also made the pistol semi automatic so it fires two bullets, this should help with stunning enemies; the main use for the pistol.

Hopefully that’s all the fixes. I may add a final version after the contest is finished with a few more improvements, but for now I’m going to leave it alone. :smiley:

Can i use the assets for commercial work?

It reminded me of the original Prince of Persia, however the sword fighting was amazing in that silly old game.

sure, if you want. ^^

I’m working on a post competition update to include a few more levels. I’ve already done the checkpoint system and a method for loading new levels.

I really like the side scrolling setup. I may make an adventure game based on the idea.