Floated Away survival game[Bountiful update No1]

Hi! I am making a new survival game called floated away. Here is the latest preview video:

Clicking the link gives me a “Error 403: You don’t belong here!”

A shame. I likes me some survival game.

What’s it about? What do you do in it? Is there a story to it, or is it just “survive until you die” kinda deal?
The market is way, waaay flooded with survival games right now. If you want yours to really go anywhere, you need it to really stand out. It has to be about more than the survival.

(I also get a 403 error when I click that. Try making your Dropbox publicly viewable?)

Please add some screenshot, would be nice to get an impression

It is still in progress and currently all you can do is walk around with character, dive intto Mārtiņš Upītis water and play around menus…

You may still want to fix that link. Or take it down and put something up when you feel it’s ready to present to the public.

Not being allowed to download the game can make for a not-so-good first impression…

What might be the reason of not-being able to download?

The file might not be in the public file of your dropbox

OK! Now the link should be aviable…

Sorry for very, very bad FPS in video. I don’t have my own computer, I am using parents’ computer and it has NVIDIA GeForce Gt610(not the best video card that you can have). I hope on recording new one if I get money somehow… Maybe someone can explain me adf.ly princips and usage? I think so I might use that one in my links, maybe…

I believe services like adf.ly and linkbucks is considered spam on the forums here, so mabey ask one of the admins before doing anything with that.

But how can I get resources for more progressive projects?

Get a job.

I’d say “do a Kickstarter” but I doubt it’ll be very successful without something more succeed-able to show.

I am updating it every day. But will Kickstarter help me with project(support or something)?

It is not aviable for Latvia anyway, but, if I would live in New Zealands(I have always wanted to live in New Zealands):smiley:

The water looks great, and the dynamic sounds for walking through different terrain is a nice effect. Some ambient noise going in the background is sorely needed, as all sound cuts out the instant you stop walking, which is almost disorienting.

The setup you have for movement is okay for a prototype, but I would seriously look into using a python-based movement system. There should be several different scripts you could use if you look around. If you are serious about this though, you are going to want to write your own, or find someone who will help you write one to do specifically what you want to do for your game. For any game like this, the feel of the movement is important.

I suggest staying away from using the ‘Character’ type movement options, unless you’re going for the Wolfenstein 3D feel ;). Try making your character a Dynamic object, and move him with forces, or servo motion.

Well, I am very bad at python, but what exactly do you reccomend for movement? Could you show logic bricks screenshot?

I am gone add some sea, birds and wind sound in background…:slight_smile:

OK! Now I want to know how to make a game save for this, so it saves all entire “Gameplay” scene and loads, when player presses play.

If you did it right, a basic movement+mouselook system could simply be an always sensor noodled to a python controller.

I will see what I can write up using the blend file you’ve provided, if I have the chance. You can do what you like with it from there…

I always wanted to do a ‘stranded on a desert island’ sort of survival game, so this has piqued my interest :slight_smile:

Here is what I came up with. I retained all of the logic for the menu functions, although I forgot to hook them back up to the esc key sensor.

I took the liberty of converting the sound files into .ogg format, which shaved about 10mb off the total file size.

The character is now a Dynamic object, moving under Force. This makes him move more like a physical object and accounts for the ramping up and down of speed and the retention of momentum (try turning sharply as you walk to see what I mean). This makes the player feel like he has weight and substance.

It now measures the (rough) velocity of the player, and uses it to set the volume and pitch of the walking sound that he’s currently using, so the faster you move, the louder and more frequent the footstep sounds come. It doesn’t work flawlessly, but it’s a prototype.

I highly suggest going through everything in your blend file and renaming all your objects to something meaningful. This will make it possible for you (and anyone else working on the blend file) to keep things straight once things start getting complex. Also, many functions require an item’s name (such as addObject()). It’s much easier to remember the name ‘Grass’ than it is ‘Cube.080’.