Demo Reel | CG - Character & Generalist

Hey folks,

Happy Holidays and New Year!
I’m back with my sparkling first Demo Reel! What do you think?

Finde me here:
[email protected]
http://alinbolcas.foliohd.com/
https://twitter.com/AlinBolcas
https://plus.google.com/u/0/108037645968283448953/posts

PS: Stay tuned for my upcoming project. I hope to finish it in less than a week. It is Titled: “Unreachable Peace”

Attachments

i love it, alin. :slight_smile: … i was thinking that a turntable of dorgok would be great, as he is first, and thus your strongest piece…

Really great! :slight_smile:

Thank you!

@doris, good point, but turntables take a lot to render…especially on my laptop. And I cannot guarantee that the turntable will have the same quality as the final render either, so that would not look like.

yes, i see… an option would be to make a turntable of the sculpt alone to show that off (so without textures, hair particles), and render it in glsl. this is very quick and can give top quality, see these free tutorials on blender cookie for info:

Amazing job mate

Superb! Congratulations.

Thank you very much! :slight_smile:

@doris, great tips! Thanks for the info. Just for showing off the sculpts I like forcing myself to use zbrush because that is what is asked, unfortunately. But I have to admit that blender real time lighting is way more powerful. There is not much control regarding composition - e. g. passes exporting from zbrush. Good topic to discuss though.

The art in the demo reel is excellent.
The actually demo reel is very poor.
For instance, I love the human deer, but the pictures that accompanied the final renders were rushed and their purpose was unclear.
My suggestions for making the demo reel better is:

Slow the slideshow down.
Order the slides in the order you did the work.
Add tittles to each slideshow showing what each slide is exhibiting.

I think that was well pointed out. Thanks! I will try to update it whenever I find some time. I will try to cut down the making of images and slow everything down.
The mistake I was trying to avoid though is to make it too boring, so I rushed it up. The purpose of the breakdown images was not to show you the exact process but rather to show you the amount of work involved in the project I did. You may notice that I stopped for a bit longer at some imaged so you can catch a better glimpse. But after all, it is a video, you can pause it anytime if you wish to look at one image more. (I do that quite frequently when I watch other demo reels)

“Order the slides in the order you did the work”. That is a horrible mistake - is what any demo reel article/tutorial would say. Everything I read said that I should always put my best work first (which is usually the latest) which makes quite a lot of sense.

Adding titles - yes, I had that in mind, but at this speed it was impossible to keep up with the reading and also look at the images, obviously. (besides, I think any more or less expert in the field would know the stages just by a glimpse) Still, it is a nice touch to name them.
Sorry to be so harsh with your critiques, mate. I will try to update with what is good though. Thanks again! :wink: