BGMC 14 | Untitled 3D Platformer

Seeing as how I’m hosting the contest, this game will not be eligible for voting.
I just can’t pass up a theme as awesome as this one, so I decided to make something of my own.

Now that THAT’S out of the way, here’s what I’ve been working on these past couple days:

Overworld: (Please ignore the obvious intermittent texture, it’s uh… not as noticeable in-game)

Underwater:

You play as a slightly overweight, anthropomorphic cat who’s goal is to collect… cake?
Yeah, not sure where I’m going with this. Though I can assure you it will most likely be worked on even after the contest is over.

What I have done:
-Player motion and animation
-Bit of the level design
-Basic enemy AI
-Most textures

What I have left to do:
-Continue level creation
-Think of an actual plot
-Music & Sound effects
-Model enemies

I remember Wallmasterr entered a BGMC he hosted not too long ago,
even though I’m not actually participating, hope no one minds.

I’m sure you can still compete, the more the merrier. :slight_smile:

Looks very N64-ish :slight_smile:

I think he’s the one who has to vote :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I won’t be competing.
Probably won’t even upload a finished product.

on the topic of voting:
My vote won’t be different than that of the community’s.
I too, will vote 1/10 for each of the 3 categories.

I wouldl ike to test it:D

Funny you should comment, I made some adjustments to the file earlier today after not having opened the file since the comp…

Still, the player and camera feel very awkward, lost a bunch of motivation on the project due to this. Would like to continue, but
that would mean re-doing the animations, player setup and camera.

I wouldl ike to test it

Hmm, in that case, could you do somethin’ for me? Well, two things actually:

1- When you jump on the enemy (the red cube’s) head, does Blender crash?
2-
Same thing, except when jumping into the water?

I know it’s caused by the shadow, want confirmation that it’s a bug.

Attachments

3D Platformer.blend (1.22 MB)

It looks like a nice little game. It’d be fun to carry on with, or to reuse those models and textures in a new game.

I don’t think the shadow is the problem. Removing it stopped the crash at first, but it came back after a few more tries.
If you want to check crashes like this, it’s a good idea to run the game in the stand alone player from blender, then when it crashes, blender is still open and you can check the console for errors.

Like this one:

Ignore the topmost errors, they are just crap from blender, something about incorrectly removed addons. it’s a Blender bug that doesn’t affect this case. The bottom warning though is something I haven’t seen before though. I don’t use complex logic setups much so I don’t know much about them. BPR does, maybe he’s seen this error before…

Or you can Google it.

Blender closes when I jump in water but nothing happens when I jump on the red cube…

Except the cube disappears… Yeah… Is it expected to do?

Yeah, it ends the object when you jump on it.

That’s rather strange… I guess once I start the game over, I’ll use GLSL for shadows.
Can’t have a platformer without shadows!

GLSL is better. If you need round shadows, you can disable shadow cast from cat and add an invisible, filled, non-collision circle parented to cat on it which casts shadow…

hi
man this is cool i like it good luck