Rigging for a hard surface model question

Hello, everyone!

I have started an ambitious project of modeling, rigging and animating a cinema quality, high poly F14 Tomcat aircraft. I am going to use this project to teach myself different aspects of using Blender, like modeling, rigging, animating, and others.

I have watched a few excellent tutorials on using constraints to control the movement of an aircraft’s flaps, landing gear, and exhaust nozzles. However, I noticed an F14’s landing gear is partially articulated, so I was wondering if some IK bones type of rig might be more suitable to use than constraints. However, since I know so little about this I thought I would consult with more experienced people on the forums. My goal with this is to produce the highest quality end result as possible.

Can anyone provide some guidance? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Joe

Hello, this should be in the support forum.

What you’re looking for is action constraint. You animate the landing gear by hand, once, then use a separate bone to control the animation. Scale/move/rotate of the bone is used instead of time for the driven animation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQTREfQSlBU

1 Like

If you are a beginning rigger, the best resource I’ve found for solving rigging problems is Humane Rigging by Norman Vegdahl.

Wow, Lamoot, I just finished watching that YouTube video, and it has really given me a brainfull of stuff to think about. That sounds just about exactly what I need. Thanks!

Orinoco, I will check out Human Rigging. I am a totally newbie when it comes to this stuff, and that sounds perfect. Thanks to you!

Joe

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Animation and Rigging”

This tutorial could also help, it’s about rigging piston-driven joints: http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/06/20/rigging-a-piston-in-blender-2-5/

Also rather than using Action constraints you can also use drivers and copy loc/rot/scale constraints for more fine control over the mechanism

Radiu688, the video I linked is a part of the Humane Rigging series (the same as Orinoco mentions). I highly recommend it if you are new to rigging.