live2d fake 3d 2d anime technology- now supports 360 degrees, unity and unreal

http://www.live2d.com/en/news/euclid_development

It really makes a huge difference over the 3d modeled face!
I would like to know:

• how do they achieve this effect really - can it be reproduced with blender somehow?
  • Do you think there will be a blender exporter? Imagine doing manga style so cleanly in b3d

True 2D graphics. 360° realtime expressionLive2D Cubism, the current generation of Live2D technology, allows artists to create a model from single character illustration drawn from a given angle to animate within the range of 30~40° sideways. Live2D Euclid eliminates the range limitation by seamlessly integrating multiple illustrations drawn from various angles while each of which being deformed independently. A Live2D Euclid model can be rendered realtime in a 3D space, supporting not only modern CG animation but also interactive game development. It may further support game engines like Unity and Unreal Engine as well as virtual reality platforms like Oculus Rift. This fundamental and versatile technology will bring rich 2D content across various genres and media dominant today.

Supports Live2D/3D hybrid modelingLive2D Euclid supports modeling with 2D and 3D elements. It can take advantage of existing 3D assets & techniques to enjoy the dynamics of 3D with the look of true 2D graphics. The character shown in the demo video (shown above) is made with Live2D Euclid for the head and 3D for the body. Live2D Inc. plans to support third party 3D modeling softwares such as Autodesk 3ds MAX in the future.

Calling for partnersAt Live2D Inc., we have completed the initial R&D phase of the technology with 3 patents granted for its key areas. We are currently developing a software to be used by animation studios and game developers. In the meantime, we are calling for partners in both R&D and creative projects in addition to a couple of collaborative projects already underway.

“Draw as you wish to draw and animate it as you imagine”Since the inception in 2006, Live2D technology has continuously evolved to achieve the kind of dynamic expression, believed to be only achievable with the approach of 3D digital sculpting, but rather with the approach of directly animating what’s drawn by 2D artists and provide the tool that truely empowers them. Live2D Euclid marks a big leap forward, but we believe that we can only achieve our goal through challenges and inspirations graced by creators around the world.

Now if they fused that with rendering the animations in two’s, posing the character per-frame with no interpolation, then the results would be indistinguishable from traditional cel animation.

My take on this is: not really. Also you will have to note that it really does give a different feel compared to the 3D model used as comparison. I think this will be most useful for game engines, but actual 3D still has its uses for this kind of thing.

I am not big on details on why I feel so, but I think it has to do with scaling.

I could see this making games pretty fast to rig after the initial pain of setting this up, especially something like chronotrigger, but in a 3d environment.

I understand how it works. The head is made by a series of layers 2d that are track to the camera and change the order and drawing depending on the angle between the camera and the face. Simple!

try setting it up in blender :stuck_out_tongue:

Hahahaha. Working with angles is one of the things more difficult to do in Blender. I think I would need to draw twenty images each with at least 5 layers.

Swapping out images based on angle of view is not new. I think that it was Sony Imageworks on a Spider-Man movie that used into fill the interiors of buildings at night, in this way they could render vast high rise buildings with minimal geometry.

I see every Japanese house getting this. Guilty Gear Xrd Sign looks good but even they have a lot of issues, especially when it comes to the faces in the cut scenes. They still very much look like 3d trying to be 2d. This is the best of both worlds. 2d on 3d basically. I wonder what the pricing is going to be? I would buy a license if they release an Unreal 4 version.

Interesting development.
Seems to be similar to what reallusions crazytalk animator has…

anyone ever get anything like this working in blender?