Extrude with & without path

I find extrude-on-path produces many weird problems, so I have given up and tried to extrude a profile without a path. Beginning with the pink shape on the right and a selected edge loop, I would like to make a 90 degree turn like the blue shape.

However, I find that there is no easy and accurate way to do that. I can do it using orthographic views and lining things up and stretching them by eye, but it would be nice if there was a more scientific method. The problem is that the edge loop at the corner, since it is on a diagonal, is larger in profile than the other edge loops.

Thanks for any clues

Attachments

From top view you could use the knife tool to cut at a 45 degree angle as you would do when making such a thing in the real world

You can definitely approach it the way Richard mentioned. But if you are going to use the knife tool, make sure you activate the cut through feature (z) and the constrain angles features ©. Not sure if you have worked with the knife tool, but it is a little squirly sometimes.

Thank you both. Where do I look for the cut-through feature for the knife tool. I’m not finding that. If I could get it to cut through AND also control it to an exact 45 degrees (or whatever) it would be perfect.

Meanwhile, your thoughts led me to another trick: create a plane (a “miter plane”), rotate to 45 degree and use it to do a Boolean union with the molding. It causes half the molding to disappear, leaving a perfect cut. Which half disappears depends on the normal flip of the miter plane. Once applied, the miter plane is still there for the next cut.

Attachments

From top view, box-select one of the ends. Use the Shear tool(Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), followed by the axis, then +1 or -1, depending on which way you want it to go. Then you can do that in any direction you like. You don’t have to cut those lines, they are already there.
EDIT: I should probably say top make sure your Pivot Point is set to Median when doing this. Also, the 1 or -1 is for a 45 degree angle.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/33485

Whoops, just saw the corner issue you mentioned(note to self, learn to read).

Hi all,
Im very new to blender and to the forum but I guess I had a very similar problem modelling a handrail and a structure (metal tube/profile) for stairs.
My problem was to cross/intersect the vertical handrail coming from bottom at the first step, with the diagonal handrail coming from top.
Basically is the union of 2 “tubes” making the problem of finding the bigger profile result from intersession.

I end up going to front, side, top views moving and aligning the thing. I was out of time after spending some tries and some tutorials with the paths.
I wish I had a way to do it more precisely or even faster because it could be a very complex tube.
I found the snap tool in blender to be a bit incomplete and not versatile at all. BUT, again, I’m new to blender.
(a bit of intro) I use sketchup, autocad and revit mainly. I do some freelancer architecture projects but I end up designing, and sometimes building myself, a lot of different stuff. From wall light pendants to greenhouses. I started using blender because a friend teached me the basics…i found this softwere great but back in the university, 5 years ago, my start with blender was 30min of “i can’t make a single **** out of this app”.

Sorry for long post -.-

Oops - just noticed that my miter plane is used with Intersect, not Union (note to self - learn to write)…

Thank you both. Where do I look for the cut-through feature for the knife tool. I’m not finding that. If I could get it to cut through AND also control it to an exact 45 degrees (or whatever) it would be perfect.

Once hitting K or shift-K, all options are displayed in the header of the 3d window.

Look at knife tool options on 3d view header

K Z C will use the knife (K) to cut all the way through (Z) the object and constrain the cut to 45 degree increments (C)

VickyM72 Thank you I did not know that. This will help doing other things as well.