mechanical rigging trouble (with vertex group approach)

Hey,

I’m running into problems with this rig…

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63661643/22-12-2014-rig.blend

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/63661643/Junge_PNG.zip

…only listing one of the eight bones in the vertex group list when you click an image plane in edit mode.
This comes after parenting all image planes to the rig using ‘with empty groups’.

This was totally working last night – now I wonder what went wrong and when.

It started out harmlessly enough when one image plane didn’t seem to be parented to anything, so I thought I had forgotten it, deleted the rig, deleted the vertex groups from the image planes and started from scratch and now it’s not working at all.

Hints appreciated!

Marco
:slight_smile:

Can’t download your file as a blend object - It comes as a text file. Perhaps you could attach it here, just click “Go Advanced” in a reply then “Manage Attachments”, Choose file in the popup, select your file and upload it. Then “Insert File”. I’ll take a look tomorrow - family funeral today - yes, bit of a bad day just before Xmas.

Cheers. Clock.

Your normal workflow would be:

1. Select the mesh objects - all of them if you like.
  2. SHIFT - Select the armature.
  3. CTRL-P - select “With Empty Groups”
  4. Select one mesh and go to Edit Mode.
  5. Click the back arrow and select “Sort Vertex Groups”
  6. Select the required vertices - in your case that’s all of them.
  7. Select the required bone in the Vertex Groups pane.
  8. Click “Assign” button.

Repeat 4-8 for other meshes.

To start over:

1. Delete the Armature modifier for each mesh.
  2. Remove Parent Object for each mesh.
  3. Click black arrow and select “Delete All Vertex Groups” for each mesh.

Let me know how you get on. You may have inadvertently deleted some of the vertex groups, when trying to sort them, I’ll know when I see the file.

Well this sucks! I’m not affiliated to any religion but just remember … this too shall pass!

Yeah – that dropbox thing: I guess you have to ‘save as’ in this case. Anyway here’s the blend.22-12-2014-rig.blend (570 KB)

Also, the problem isn’t present after importing the image planes to a new .blend. I suspect the file may have gone bad.

Yep - armature’s FUBAR only bone.006 is added to vertex groups - just import your image planes to a new blend and start your armature again. Just off to funeral so no more communications until much later.

Clock.