Shortcut "L"

Hey there,

I´ve got a really simple question. I am following a tutorial. As I was following it, I had to duplicate two vertices and then I had to extrude them to get a new element. Then by hitting just the letter “L” hit kind of separated the element. So my question is: Is “L” the shortcut to separate selected vertices? Does this do something else I just don´t understand?

Thanks,
t.

So my question is: Is “L” the shortcut to separate selected vertices?
Not with the default keyboard shortcuts.
To separate vertices use P

L is used to select linked vertices

Hey Richard,

thanks a lot for your quick response. Just to get it right: In vertex-mode with L I can select connected vertices. In my case the vertices where extruded from much bigger element. But in the selection there where just 4 vertices selected. So it selects just the direct vertices, right?

thanks again,
t.

Hover the curser over a vertex/edge/face, press L and it will select all the vertices which are linked to that vertex/edge/face

In Edit Mode “L” selects primitives such as Cube, Sphere, etc. or separate Mesh Structures.

~John

Thanks to you both. I guess, now I know what I didn´t get! With shift D the vertices were duplicated. Already at that point it is possible to move them away from the basic element (their origin) without distorting the element. And “L” was really just the selection tool. I thougt that the vertices where separated from that point, using the shortcut “L” …

Puuh … thanks a lot for your patience! :slight_smile:
t.