Snow

Hi all,

Im busy on a little video of snow whirling down. It all works out well.
The only thing im not getting right, is the turning of snowflakes. They failling quite straight down.

This is the video:

(the failling maybe a bit slow, but thats not the main problem :slight_smile: )

My first thought would be to add a turbulence force. Looks good besides the rotation. GL :slight_smile:

Under the rotation rollout in the particle tab, make sure the whole rotation rollout is enabled (ofc), then set random under “initial orientation” to 1. Looks like you got this already, but just making sure. Now, the magic: in that same rollout, check the “dynamic” box next to angular velocity, and add a non-zero number to the angular velocity to give some starting tumble. Then add a turbulence field like ShadowCamero suggested, or maybe a wind field. Or both. You might need to re-adjust the drag/damp values as well. Good luck!

Now, the magic: in that same rollout, check the “dynamic” box next to angular velocity, and add a non-zero number to the angular velocity to give some starting tumble.

Thanks man, that totally did the job
Here’s the second try*:

*I added a bit more speed, maybe too much?

I think it looks just about right. Nice.

Maybe a little too fast unless you wanted to add some wind to it. I feel like I’ve only seen snow falling quite that fast in a heavy fall with wind. But if it is too fast it’s just barely so. Looks good.