Looking for texture artists/sound artists

I’m working on a game using the blender game engine. I am more proficient in the modeling aspect than texture and sound design, so I need someone who can specifically create what I need. The entire project is really just a hobby, but I figure it would be good to work with some people who know it better.

Hello Leanardoe.

Try posting a few screenshots of your game or even some artwork.
You can try asking for some help by posting here, what it is you need ?

You can tell form these images that the textures mapped to the models are not professional or specialized to the object. Most of them are stock images from CGtextures, or simple sprites that I made in gimp. So I would Like to have someone who can make textures that would be specialized for these models. They don’t need to be super realistic, I like the idea of mildly cartoonish as-well.

I can do some sounds for your game and or music.

Hey that looks nice ; The textures aren’t that bad… seen worse !

If you know how to model a bit in 3D, then you can always make a 3D surface of whatever it is you want, then render it in orthographic perspective ; Here is an example : Render_Textures.zip

I could make something similar for you if it can help ?

Another solution could be to UV unwrap the models and bake the texture maps.

The textures that I need, and the ones that are used above are far too complex to be modeled in an efficient manor. I can do a little bit of texture design, and I know it comprises of a-lot of work in the noise editors to make realistic textures, such as the noise used for a wood texture. Simply modeling that would not even be wise to attempt.

Also, all of those textures shown above are UV mapped, I don’t think the game engine supports any other kind…

The screenshots that you posted reminded of “The Long Dark”.
The way they textured everything might be close to what you want ?

My lucky guess is that the models are textured like this :

(Add) Texture Layer 1 > a texture map (ex : 512p x 512p) used for the color detail (wood rings and knots) ; drawn in a cartoon style.

(Multiply) Texture Layer 2 > a texture map (ex : 64p x 64p) used for the grain, in some games they just make the texture with something similar to a RGB noise filter.

I can always make an example model if necessary…

No no no, I don’t need help with mapping textures, I need someone who can make them… And yes, “the long dark” game’s art look pretty close to what I imagine.

Everything is fine Leanardoe ! I perfectly understand what you are asking for ; It is best to discuss about some ideas first…
Post a link to a 3D model that you would want me to texture, or send me a message so we can talk about how you want to proceed.

Anyway, take your time, there is no hurry…

Sorry if I haven’t been that much of a help so far…

Well, for example, let’s say that you need a wooden surface material, then I can make it for you and all you have to do is append the material in to the blend file that you are working with.

Here is an example file that I quickly put together in 5 minutes, nothing exceptional, all the “seamless” textures were made from a low resolution jpeg file, so the end result is not that good.

Download the “Wooden Surface Material” here : Wooden_Surface.zip

It looks good, would these kind of textures affect performance though?

Well it’s all depends ?

The computer that I have at the moment has 16 GB of RAM (DDR3) and a GeForce 660 GTX ; But it is always a good practice to think about those who don’t have as much memory and as well as a big GPU !

Lets say a reasonable texture size at the moment is about (512 x 512) pixels to (1024 x 1024) pixels for a video game, and this is taking in to consideration that your game will use color, specular and normal maps…

As well you have the format of the image that will affect a lot the game engine.

That is why I mainly prefer a (.tga) format (32-bit).

What I often do, for example, is if I have a jpeg image that has a size of (4000p x 3000p) then I crush it down to a size of (2000p x 1500p) , then save it in a .tga format.

My pc is pretty well suited for the task, but a-lot of people, like you said, won’t have the power. So let’s say our minimum pc requirements are 2.5 dual core with a gpu with at-least a 500 mhz clock with 1 gb.

That that sounds about right, and if too many people complain that they can’t get the game playing then one can always find a way of setting up a (Low-High Texture Map) detail setting in-game.

I never could figure out how to make an In-Game gui to change graphical or sound options…

Well I don’t know, one would have to ask that to the python wizards :slight_smile:

A way to do it ? would be to have all the materials of the game named like this :

The materials using (HD) high definition textures be called for example “Terracota_Floor_HD”
The materials using (LD) low definition textures be called for example “Terracota_Floor_LD”

Then get a script that will be launched in the game menu and tell all the objects that are loaded into the game if they should be using (LD) or (HD) materials ?

But there probably already exists a way to do this with blender…

Maybe, but back to point. I am not experience in photo-shop, gimp, or whatever to the point that is necessary to make decent textures. Maybe enough to make decent models, but not textures. So I’m looking for people who specialize in that.

I have a YouTube tutorial series for making seamless and specific textures in gimp that might help you here’s the link to the playlist.

Sweet, just what I needed!