Making a Unity Skybox with Cycles?

There’s a ton of (often outdated) info about skyboxes in older versions of Blender, and a lot of smoke and other versions of ‘skybox’, so I’ll try and be brief:

I merely want to end up with 6 images that when applied to the inside of a cube (Skybox in Unity) and seen from 0.0.0 in any direction (this is how those skyboxes work) creates the illusion of a sphere that matches the Blender scene from which these 6 images was created.

Now, I carefully avoided naming any Blender (Cycles) lingo in my description, because what I’m asking is: What would you use in Cycles to do this?

It appears to me that everything is there (Blender Version 2.72 when writing this) - but I just cannot get things set up to do that render+manual cutting/those renders. It’s driving me mad.

It’s important to me that this is a Cycles-way-to-do-it, the web is full of BR/BI tips, even scripts… but Cycles?

Who ever can tell me this is my hero. Thanks a bunch! :slight_smile:

Illustration: Here we are inside a box. And the world is seen around us. All I want is to render this set of those 6 planes view (precisely seen from the center which is not the case in the illustration for illustration purposes) - so they’ll match and stitch up neatly with the slight perspective view that is present as an example here in the scene view.

And I can’t do it manually with the camera (using ninja tricks such as “Camera Fit Frame to Selected” etc), I just cannot seam to make the parts / perspective match 100% and look great (or get an efficient workflow for that matter)

GOD this is driving me nuts! :slight_smile:

Don’t know if this will help you but here we go :).

First we render an environment map of the scene, check camera location rotation and settings.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/33469

Next we use this map as sky texture in the world settings and we bake the environment in cycles.
Unwrap the cube ( check the file where to place seams ) create the texture and hit bake and the images will be mapped correctly
on the 6 sides of the cube. hope it will help you.
http://www.pasteall.org/blend/33470