12 basic principles of animation

Hello
Do you know a blender tutorials on the subject:
12 basic principles of animation in blender ?
( http://the12principles.tumblr.com/)
I mean the ways to implement.

thanks

Humane Rigging is where I’d recommend you start. It does not follow the same outline as Illusion of Life, but it does cover a lot of the same ground.

I don’t know of any blender tutorials on the subject of the 12 basic principles of animation. Google is your friend for this, but don’t search for just blender tutorials on the subject, look for general tutorials. After all, you’re looking for ‘principles’, or general rules and guidelines, that apply to animation no matter what type of animation. I’m thinking these principles where developed by the Disney studios years before computers were invented, back in the day when hand drawn animation was just beginning to evolve and mature.

One place I think this is all covered is in the book: ‘The Animator’s Survival Kit’. This book is about animation, be it hand drawn, 3d cgi, stop motion, etc, etc… but the principles are the same, no matter what medium you work in.

As to how to do these principles in blender, here again it doesn’t matter what software you are using, they are the basics. I’ve watched some Keith Lango video tutorials before and he shows how to create follow-thru & overlap in maya’s equivalent of blender’s graph editor. Yeah, sure, maya has different tools than blender, but at the basic level, the software operates the same. Maya has different terms for the animation curves and tools for working with them than blender has, but at the end of the day, they do the same job.

Look for tutorials on each of the 12 principles. If you want to learn about ‘squash & stretch’, look for a bouncing ball animation tutorial. It doesn’t matter what medium you work in, or what software you use, the ‘squash & stretch’ principle is still the same.

I am currently trying to improve my animation skills and one site I like to visit from time to time is http://www.animatorisland.com/ it contains advice on animation. He primarily works in hand drawn animation, but it doesn’t matter what medium you work in, the animation advice applies to all forms of animation.

I’ve seen your videos on youtube before, and I have a lot of respect for anyone who puts that much work into it. So I hate to critique your work, I don’t mean to sound negative, but there are 2 things I see your animations lacking. Timing and weight.

By timing, I mean your videos all seem to move at the same speed, nothing ever moves faster or slower, it all the same speed. That’s one of the 12 principles. When I said you animations are lacking weight, that’s not really 1 of the 12 principles… Weight is animating and object in a way that shows it has weight. Jump up and down, and watch what happens, when your feet hit the ground, your hips will continue downwards for a bit before recoiling upwards to a standing position. That is squash & stretch. or overlap & follow through. I really directed the weight comment though at your dump truck character. When a dump truck raises it’s bed to dump stuff, the weight shifts to the back of the truck, and the front end will rise as a result.

I hope this helps…
Randy