been speed modeling 5 hour...wow..

No no examples here of what i made; but just my story of today.

They rushed into my office (Friday),
Can you make an artistic impression of a machine that does this and that, land that…
Ehm yes sure i can, how much time ?;
They’re used that i’m Blendering things in 60% office time and 40%private time, and I usually let the machine render overnight, at the office. Otherwise with my loan me Blendering would be quite expensive too. And since Blender is hobby to me too, i dont mind this.
However this time, i understood it had all to be done quick, like ready at the end of the workday or Monday early.
But since my whole weekend is booked full with social activity, so I took it as 5 hour speed drawing day :smiley:

I’ve not done that before in blender, usually i got more time, and draw at normal speed, thinking of what to draw a lot.
Not this time, I needed productivity… but at same time, its me who makes things difficult (mesh shapes etc).
So its kinda battle to yourself, to see if you can create some photo realism like scene, which looks quite ‘real’, enough to convince someone… So a typical artist deciding his own judgement day. Well a good drawing will result in work, so i had no pressure… hahahaha

Our “machine” should handle a product thus product that had to be good as well.
And as it was of high detail, I took a hour of mesh editing it, uv unwrapping and adding some textures.
Another hour for the machine itself, not that complex, but various parts it had to look mostly nice, and a bit technical but not to much, when drawing concept machines i’m not bounded to much actually, but while drawing your still confronting yourself with various ideas on how to solve things in real, if one had to builds such a machine.
I like that, although i’m not such a metal worker, i can talk to the people who in the end make machines, and because of the drawing one gets ideas… but i was speed drawing… i had to focus on the end result, draw draw draw…

I walked a few times back to the one who made me a raw pen sketch, to talk about some details.
Then went on, machine got ready, but it had to be placed in a machine hall as well with a specific type of transport band based upon shaped-plates and cables. Which was actually complex but fun to draw, the array modifier was my big friend here. And i added some extra stuff so that the room would look normal.

Also to keep speed, this time i used snapping a lot the little magnet, to quickly place things around.
And proportional editing for complex shapes to get curved areas etc.
And solidify, its handy when you want to make hollow shapes, extend a cube a few times to get some complex shape, remove a face, and you got a hull, a room, or box, or machine parts etc.

I had not much time to texture it all, i only used a few, and spend some more time on cycles, and lightning.
Eventually cycles solved a problem of having a big machine working on small object, i kept everything a bit lighter in color, while the objects the machine worked on got a bit darker, since they wanted a typical workfloor, i had to keep in mind that the final customer would like to see in the end his product where he is familiar too, so they had to stand out, and also our new machine should stand out, on the fly i was combining artistic thoughts salesmen thoughts, and engineering thoughts.

Well after 5 hours i was exhausted, still thinking in keyboard shortcuts, but our marketing loved it.
So now i am waiting if a Blender dream, ends-up redrawn, by our autocad guy (not me), as a real Machine product.
I think its pretty cool, the final machine might have different dimensions etc, and look slightly different, as the render is mainly a tool, so that customer and sales person can talk about a proposal / solution for their industrial problem.

But well fun, I started as a software lead designer, and am the main IT guy in our small company, but some day i might end up as a product designer using Blender :D.

(Sadly i cannot show these drawings here, but maybe someday after production, and patents etc i can put them here)

There are two things that I like mostly in Blender, one thing is that there are no limitations to production sequence, that helps each one to develop his own unique working style and other thing is that Blender is meant for speed.

I have made many things in Blender apart from 3D models, lots of animated banners for websites, other video titles, flier designs, or even 2D designs exported to SVG. I have got used Blender so much that I find it boring to use something else (except when is completely important and as long as the means of making something allow it).

I mean, that nothing beats the G/R/S combo. :smiley:

I’d love to see them when you can show them to us. Good luck!