My first animation, Blockheads Adventures

Hello,
I am a 14 year old teenager (don’t really like that word :)) from the UK. I’ve been interested in animation ever since I was young, starting with stop-motion animation. When I found Blender, I realized how computer animation could unlock so much more possibilities.
I’ve finished my first animation, which has been in development for nearly a year now, alongside learning the ins and outs of Blender. It’s based on a mobile game called The Blockheads, which is similar to Minecraft; hence the voxel theme. There are many bad points and the ending was rushed, but overall I’m pleased with it for my first try :slight_smile:

I’d love to hear any criticism, as I have lots for myself already :stuck_out_tongue:
Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoy!

P.S. one thing that sticks out massively for me is the lack of storyline and emotion that is conveyed. I think this is mainly down to the limited facial adjustments of my rig and the lack of speech. Hopefully I can fix that in the future.

this is pretty rad, comicly funny and i have no critiques because its way better than i can do :stuck_out_tongue: keep at it man!

The foley (sound effects) are particularly well done. Despite the lack of facial mobility, you’ve used gesture pretty well to convey emotion. You might look into that more if you plan on continuing with this type of character and rig.

Regarding the storyline: there is no conflict in the beginning: obviously the character is trying to figure out what the donkey will eat, but in the beginning, the donkey is shown happilly chomping on the grass. You need to show this is a problem for either the donkey or the man, so the attempts to find different food make sense.

Thank you for the advice :slight_smile:
I am currently working on a new model and rig for the character with full facial animation. I might use voice acting in future animations, but I like the way that story can be conveyed in other ways than speech.

I understand what you mean regarding the storyline. That first scene was made way before the others, mainly as a test to see what I could do with the characters. I hadn’t really planned out the full story, so I guess that’s where the problem came from.

nice, keep animating!