Coming Home - BG Christmas Competition Entry

Well guys here is my BG Christmas Competition entry:) A pretty heavy scene with particles and detail. Rendering times are around 14hr at 150 samples at 1920x1275 resolution. Blender tells me it uses 10gb for rendering:) This scene of course is not what my home looks like but may I say this:

No matter what home you come to on Christmas may it be the warmest and happiest place of your dreams filled with family and friends:)

UPDATE RENDER:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Good job Derek! I saw your post about the trees in the WIP thread, they came out well! What was your final solution for the snow particles?

I left another comment on your WIP, but I have probably missed the boat!

Looks beautiful!

Certainly will be a top contender… best of luck, and great job on this.

Great work! I really thought this was going to be at least finalist. Merry Christmas!

Well thanks guys for the positive feed back. I was a bit surprised by Andrew’s selections but what the heck it was fun to make and I figured out how to make a pretty decent snow covered pine:) I guess I went too straight forward with this attempt. I’ll have to explore my WTF side I guess:p I do agree with Andrew though there wasn’t enough story here and recreation of an image (even with some slight modifications) isn’t the best use of CG and doesn’t show a lot of creativity. I am glad that some appreciated the efforts.

Below is my final submittal image. Feed back is always welcome.

How did you with 150 samples as little noise get together?
Its looking realy good.

Great render. Did you use weight painting to apply the snow particle system to the greenery?

Thanks guys. In regards to noise I did use a clamp indirect value of 3.0 and turned caustics off. Also I only used two sun lamps for lighting and a lower resolution HDR image for environment lighting. Those things might have helped.

For placement of the snow I used weight paint as well as particle editing by hand on much of the hard scape like sidewalk and bricks. The snow shader for the particle system object was probably the most difficult to achieve. I’d post the shader setup but I think I’m going to include it with my evergreen tree models on my Blender Market shop page. Of course my trees are always available on there for reasonable prices if your interested.

nice one @DerekG1080
i loved it…

-Nita

Thanks Nita, always good to hear from you. Merry Christmas to all the blender heads out there!