blueberry

Hey everybody,

I’m currently making a nature-closeup scene of blueberries.
I’m still not absolutely happy with the render. Can anyone give me any tips on how to improve it?

Here’s the current(noisy) state:

I think youre light should be differend becuase on the leaf at the right its so strong,
That can be one of the reasons youve alot fireflies…

But this must help you!

The blueberries in your scene look too smooth. In real life they a much rougher specularity. Also the diffuse texture needs more detail. Right now the details look too soft. The leaves look flat, they need more of a bump map, or if you want to do a really high resolution render I would use a displacement modifier to push that extra detail! :smiley: Maybe a little more translucency on the leaf material will help too.
Here is my Ref image http://www.mast-producing-trees.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/blueberry-health-benefits.jpg

Anyways, I love the composition! I can’t wait to see the finished render :slight_smile:

Thanks for the comments, they help a lot!

zweaking the clamp-value removed the noise completely. :slight_smile:

I also used a displacement modifier for the leaves to give them more structure.

Here’s a little update:

Wow major improvement! that clamp value is magical huh? :yes:

Wow for sure… i dint see that coming its realy nice yes!

Thanks for the comments!

here’s another update, but there’s still some work left, especially the bottom-part of the blueberries look weird.

I think its because the bottom-part is to thin,
Ive made it a bit overpowered but i had a drink lol.
(Tip:Use google it can help a lot)

Good point JFunProductions! I tried that and it improved the render, but it seems like there’s a lack of detail especially at the bottom-side of the blueberries. Here’s another update(without compositing, I’ll do this when I’m happy with the render):

The leaves usually would have some kind of SSS or translucency, not just transparency. But that is all. The blueberries are looking really fantastic!

Thank you for the kind words and the improvement-tips.
(Let’s see if I can finally make it into the forum-gallery, would be a nice checkpoint in my 3D-career :wink: )

Actually I used translucency for the leaves, but I know exactly what you mean: the leaf on the right, where the branch is shining through.

Here’s the node-setup for the leaves- it’s pretty straight forward:

Thanks again for the feedback, it really helps a lot! :slight_smile:

One little detail:

and leafs look like from other plant. But overall picture is very impressive.

I looked at a lot of reference images, and searched for ssuch a detail for ages, because I thought there has to be some connecting part between the berry and the branch, but I could never find one. Here are some of the reference photos I used:

here you can se cleary the connection of the berry with the branch:

To the leaves: I just liked the look of the leaves a lot, so I chose them :smiley:
But you’re absolutely right, they’re the wrong kind of leaves.

Here with more acurate ones - also I added more detail:

I like is, but I’ll have to change the leaves position a bit. :slight_smile:

it is really photorealistic right now :). however, the bumps and coloration on the berry seem a bit strange.
blueberrys have a very “cloudy” look, look at this pic:http://catwirk.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/blueberries.jpg
its a bit blurry but has blueberrys on a stalk.

but it is already looking tasty :slight_smile:

I’m still having issues wit the right corner, it seems like the light is so bright that the leaf looks transparent, but changing the translucency for just that one leaf looks fake…any ideas?

btw.: happy new year!

You can try to give the white colour in the options of the transsulent some gray,
( you can also give the leafes a very slight thickness if they dont have it )

Happy New year to you to :slight_smile:

adding some thickness fixed it really well, thank you!

I’ll post some updates next year :wink: