Clive Walk Cycle

I just finished the blocking pass of this clive walk cycle. I switched everything over to bezier curves too.

Could I get some feedback on it please? Thank you. :slight_smile:

It’s a bit slow. What’s the frame rate and how far apart did you mark the keyframes?

Foot contact poses were frames 1 and 21, foot passing poses were 11 and 31 and 41 was the loop. Framerate is 24 FPS (default). I will see about speeding up the walk. :stuck_out_tongue: Thanks for the feedback man

I polished it a little and sped up animation. :stuck_out_tongue: How is it now? (Disregard the strange head jerk lol. I overlooked it after I had already uploaded it.)

That’s quite the improvement. But I was asking about the key frames is how many frames apart they were from each other. For example, between frame 1 to frame 20 is 19 frames. The reason why I asked this because the closer the key frames are to each other the faster it moves.

oh okay. haha thanks. And the first one was 40 frames. This new one is 36 frames.

he slows down too much in between each step.

hi Sonic14,
just a mini hint, almost sure you already know, but just in case :slight_smile:
What starts a walk is the head un-balancing ourselves towards front.
Then the leg needs to be moved ahead to sustain the body and re-gain balance.
Viewing the profile of Clive, I get the impression that the spine stays a bit too vertical.
I would make him lean a bit more to front. I feel the legs being too ahead of the rest of his body as it is now.
Maybe moving hips ahead by 5cm, head and shoulders ahead by 10 cm would fix it.
As for the front view, I see the counter-balancing of hips and shoulders is there, IMHO I would reduce the left-right travel of head and shoulders, though I am not quite sure of this.
Sry for buggy english :slight_smile:

My impression is Clive is a sailor. Probably because of that vertical spine robi noticed. The hips, in front view, appear to rotate too much, while they don’t appear to rotate at all in side view.

Orinoco’s notes are good.
I wouldn’t lean him more forward as robi suggested. In a walk the forward lean is generally quite subtle. If anything the lean you have is too much.
The hips on this walk are too low in my opinion. Unless this is on purpose, and you’re going for this sort of character, his whole body is sitting too low and causing the legs to be bent for most of the cycle. Try this yourself; it’s really uncomfortable.
Also, as Orinoco has sid, the hips are rotating too much, on the Z axis. This is also the case for the ribs.
Meanwhile, the upper body doesn’t seem to be counter rotating on the Y axis, causing his whole body to lurch side to side with each step. This would also be very uncomfortable and doesn’t look natural.
Finally, the whole cycle seems to have a halting quality to it, as if he slows down and speeds up over the course of the cycle. This needs attention too and will be largely to do with adjusting your tangents.

Good luck!

Here’s some reference. I hope this helps…