Linux mint doesnt update Blender ?

I’m a bit new to Linux, one system uses Linux here, when i use the normal ways to install an application using the wizards, i get an older version of blender. When check for updates using wizards, then it doesnt see the new official version of blender. (but neither does it see the latest Mint version), the system wasnt deployed by me, but by a shop who preinstalled linux mint… Is there something that i should do to tell Mint, “you can find the newest versions here…” and then it auto updates. Or is perhaps blender not released as updates for Linux ?

That is correct. Mint and Ubuntu pull from repositories that are usually very old. YOu’ll need to go download the latest from Blender.org.

People behind Mint distro use proven official versions of software they pack into the release DVD. Packed software could be some versions behind depending on what was available when they made this DVD. Chances are slim that they would update repositories to the latest available Blender.

I have directory BLENDER in my User’s directory (like e.g Documents, Videos, Downloads) where i create more sub directories - Blender2.6, Blender2.7. Each can have Blender downloaded from blender.org (or builder.blender.org) and unpacked in appropriate subdirectory.
Then all what’s left is to delve in such blender directory and doubleclick on blender executable (i used to use symlinks, shortcuts on the Desktop but right now there are some issues with that).