My WIP Blender Guru Christmas Competion Entry.

Hi Guys,

I have decided my tweak my previous Christmas scene which I was going to submit to the Blender Guru competition as I felt it didn’t tell much of a story.

These is what I have so far, inspired by Toy Story. I’m happy with my modelling but the composition I feel is a little poor. Can I get some advice on how this scene could be improved?

Some things that I want to improve is to add some scan lines to the CRT screen to give that retro feel. Add some detail to the back of the robot, a battery cover maybe? And finally I want to add some foreground objects, such as more open boxes, ripped paper and some toy spectators?

Apologies for the low res jpeg.

To get the scan lines on the TV, you could always use this compositing technique ( http://www.aversionofreality.com/blog/2014/5/5/root-node-thumbnail-logo ) to achieve it. Obviously you’d have to re-render the texture of the TV screen for it but no doubt you would be able to do that easily enough :slight_smile:

And as you mentioned a battery pack would look good on the robot along with some screws perhaps?

Also I’m a little confused with the lighting in front of the characters. On the floor to the left of the robot there’s the blue-ish white light and on the right side of the robot there’s the same light but no light on the floor on the right? I’m assuming the light is meant to look like it’s being cast from the TV which is cool but I just think it should light up the floor a little in that spot like on the other side is all.

But other than that it’s some nice work!