Alone

Reaching out to those less fortunate than us–especially at this time of the year–is what humanity should be all about.

Model cat by Luis Arizaga (posted for free download at Blender Natins). Hair, material, rig, and pose by me. Cobblestone street via tut by BlenderGuru.

Second iteration (more like 37th…), after taking into consideration your comments and critiques (thanks a lot for those, by the way!):

Please ignore the next one. I uploaded it by mistake, and can’t delete it. Sorry…

Happy Holidays!

Attachments

U need to add some contrast there. Change cat’s colour to white ant it will be more seeable. (sorry for bad english :stuck_out_tongue: )

Actually, I internally debated a lot about the cat’s color. I even made some trials with wild patterns. Cheshire Cat’s style. I settled on these particular colors in order to enhance the melancholy of the scene. But I’ll give your idea a try, once more.

No worries regarding your English: I can understand you perfectly. Thanks for the comment!

It’s just hard to see that there is a cat at first sight :slight_smile:

The bump mapping is really too strong on the sidewalk. Also, you should try enviroment/HDRI lighting if you don’t have it in the scene. I agree with changing the cat’s color, it took me a second to recognize that it was a cat due to the lack of contrast. At least add some depth of field if you are going to keep the same color.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I have changed the scene:

• The bumps on the sidewalk (a displacement modifier, not a bump map) is more subtle;
  • I changed the camera to a 100mm, so I can properly apply depth of field.
  • I quadrupled the cobblestone texture, creating a more irregular pattern.
  • I played A LOT with the cat’s colors, and settled for this combination. it’s still dark, i know, but still: it’s supposed to be a somber imagem.

Anyway, thanks again for all the tips.

Happy Holidays from Brazil!

Definitely looks better! Great improvement. Still not the right colors on the cat but that’s alright. If you’re still willing to work on it, perhaps a rim light on the cat would help.

try to add fur to it using a particle system. That will definitely look a lot better!

And to remove images, you have to click on a little button that says “manage images” while editing your post and you can delete it from there :slight_smile:

That goes to show just how much I still have to learn: there is fur on the cat… Also, I can’t find the manage images button.

Thanks for the input, anyway!

Interesting concept, few things:

• The street is a little too flat. If it’s going to be such a large part of the scene, I’d try modelling it. You can use the array modifier with a subdivided cube, apply it and then sculpt some variation. And add some dirt, water, imperfections, etc.
  • The cobble are also a little small, the cat looks too big. Like human size.
  • Are you using the hair bsdf in the fur?
  • Try lowering the overall brightness, and add a key and rim and key lights on the cat to make the message more obvious.

Parabéns, Happy holidays!