New terms of Facebook and blendergroep on Facebook

Hallo. I dont know if i have the right place to post this but ive noticed new renders that are posted on blender artists also get posted onto the blender group on facebook. Seeing as in 2015 Facebook is changing its rights and regulations which will allow commercial company’s to use images from all FB users in there advertising im wondering if the blenderartist site is considering this. Quite simply i would have to think very carefully before posting to blenderartists if there’s a possibility it gets onto facebook and into the hands of a commercial company.

Can i hear what other people think of this?

lisa:confused:

If you don’t mind, could you post a link to the new/updated terms?

Heres the link https://www.facebook.com/legal/terms/update

and i was looking at this bit

• Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:
[LIST=1]

• For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.
  • When you delete IP content, it is deleted in a manner similar to emptying the recycle bin on a computer. However, you understand that removed content may persist in backup copies for a reasonable period of time (but will not be available to others).
  • When you use an application, the application may ask for your permission to access your content and information as well as content and information that others have shared with you. We require applications to respect your privacy, and your agreement with that application will control how the application can use, store, and transfer that content and information. (To learn more about Platform, including how you can control what information other people may share with applications, read our Data Policy and Platform Page.)
  • When you publish content or information using the Public setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).
  • We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about Facebook, but you understand that we may use your feedback or suggestions without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them).

[/LIST]

One way around this would be to automatically add a really obvious watermark when images are transferred to FB. Then add a link to Blender Artists so people can see the original without the watermark. I’m pretty sure this can be scripted in PHP.

Im not sure how it works between the blender artist site and FB blender group. I had the impression that if posted a work that made it to the images across the top of the BA site, that that automatically got published onto FB. But i suppose i’m wrong. How does it work?

Hey there!

Thanks for sharing the terms and that is interesting. Admittedly BA is not that slick. :wink: Currently either myself or Richard will spy an interesting image and these are manually added to the top row, and also manually chosen/published on the BA Facebook for additional exposure.

I just looked over the BA Page admin settings and there isn’t any direct correlation of settings as described by the FB terms linked above. There are the individual privacy options which then negate the agreement FB is mentioning. I will keep digging, though not sure if that is there on the page level.

A work around if the above is true, may be to just make sure we use the link in the posts, but never upload the actual render. This still works fine, just tends to harbor less attention/clicks/likes.