Feedback on BlenderGuru Christmas 2014 Entry

This is my most recent scene, created in Blender 2.72 in the Cycles render engine. Only two images were used in the making of the piece. I have post-processed the image in GIMP, but I could have done it in Blender compositor if I hadn’t been running out of time. GIMP is faster by a long shot . . .

I like the concept you went with on this piece. Santa better invest in a giant cargo net. :slight_smile: Best of luck in the competition.

Thanks! It is my first time entering, so we will see what comes of it :eyebrowlift:

The sky looks weird to me, try to use procedural night sky.***My portfolio: http://adamszablewski.cgsociety.org/

Very nice! I like it. :slight_smile: GL

The lighting is poor, can barely see a thing.
The lighting is odd, you have a reflective glow from what I am guessing the sun right beneath the night sky… doesn’t work.

It needs quite a bit of work.

That is exactly what I was thinking, but do you have any ways I could fix those issues?

Is this any better, or is it too washed out? I have a VERY bright LED display, so I can’t really tell how it will appear on other configurations.

I like the new render, the brightness is good. I would add falling snow that the “stuff mart” can light up. Also the background is too bright and takes the focus away from the sled.

If you want your sled to be the focus point, make that the brightest part of the image.

Also the highlight circled below is a bit confusing, I am not sure where the light is coming from.

Other then that it is looking good :slight_smile:

Attachments

That makes sense, I will try to implement that before the deadline. Thanks for the input!

I have made some updates, which I have posted below. Unfortunately I don’t have time to add the snow, but I am fairly happy with how it has turned out anyways. Any last minute critiques?

I think you’ve overloaded on post-processing gimmicks; both the DOF and lens flares are distracting from the image for me. I think Santa should be more central as well, I didn’t notice he was even there the first time. Maybe remove the neon from the presents?

Thanks for the input! I agree, I tend to go overboard with the post-pro work, I spoil some good projects that way, even if I do have loads of fun doing it :stuck_out_tongue: