appended file not showing up in Render view

Hi All,
Why is my File>Append Object not showing up in my Render view? Do I need to bring it’s camera with it? I did not bring it’s lights or camera into the new scene as that has it’s own camera and lit the way I want it.

Is the object visible in the viewport? If yes, did you make sure it is renderable? (camera icon in outline). If not, did you append the actual object, or did you append the mesh data? (that’s not a complete object).

Yes object is visible in 3d view port in materials view or Solid. In camera view and not in camera view. Numpad “0” or object view.

How I brought it in:

File>Append>Objects> selected (all) > but cam and lights for it from it’s original blend file. >OK

Again, does your object in file you imported it in and where you currently work with this object, does it have Camera icon in Outliner window on? It is perfectly feasible to import object with switched off renderability while it would show up in 3dview Solid, Textured and Rendered modes. Object would hide only in render.

Thanks for looking in Eppo, here is what I get when importing the File>Append>Object with camera. Gives me two one is in white the new imported one and black is the one that i in the new scene.

Which way to import these objects to animate them in another scene?
File>Append>Select Drive>Folder>

Funny I used scene FILE and got a render view fine, but when importing it set it on another layer. I had to then “M” it to the layer I wanted (the first) and well I had a sphere already placed on that layer 1 then when “M” moving the ship to it could not see the sphere no longer?
I had to re Add one. Is this a preference or am I missing something here? Is using Scene in that folder the way to do it?

Usually it is Object folder from which you Append Objects YOU choose. Could as well be Group or Node Tree folders which are not listed in image but are most used (here at least). Animation is not my strongest so can not help if your parts have Armatures, Actions and such…

For me all objects i Append are to be found on Layer 1 despite them being on different Layers in file i append from. It is not necessary to append things you do not need like if you wanted some space ship part you do not need to Append any other thing from that file - Lamps, Cameras, Gas Cans, Smoke Grenades… you name it. You want Ship - you should get that Ship. Material of Ship comes in automagically and Ship should land on Layer 1 in working file.

Things disappearing during Append process, moreover, other, already present things disappear - that should not happen. Recheck inventory list in Outliner. Name objects properly in source file.
If some object is selected in Outliner appropriate Layer icon should turn into one with orange dot in it.

In addition - is Append you really need if you have Objects in such a Library file you pull them from into the current Work Scene file? I’d say Link (and make Proxy if needed) is a way to save on working blend file resources. In addition the idea is that you could have had several Scene files which all end up (or rather start) into this Library and if you decide on some changes to e.g. ObjectNr1 this is propagated to all Scene files if you edit ObjectNr1 in Library file. If you had ObjectNr1 Appended and edited in Scene file other Scenes know nothing about this and you had to update them separately. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks Eppo,
I did try to Link to make Proxy, but I do not have any “I” animation control doing it that way… When I first started playing with Blender about 8 months ago maybe 10 now. I cannot remember if the changes in an append file are global, or are they just in that scene? Hence a proxy with no over ride capabilities. NO changes locally or globally with a Proxy file from what I am experiencing over here.
I digress
P.S I tried to bring in via Object and select the objects desired but got what the post explains. Not until I used Scene did I get a viewable in Render scene via Append.

As far as the objects already in a scene shows it is in the Out liner just not visible for some reason after import of a new append file? I was testing using only a plain sphere when this occurred. Not a fully modeled planet.

Could you simulate this one more time with file saved containing say 3 default objects: Cube,Sphere, Monkey? In a new file delete Cube and Append?
Proxy Object, not “file”. If you Link instead of Append you get Object which is like granite Monument: you can’t do anything with it (that includes “I” keyframing) unless you click Menu - Object, Make Proxy (Ctrl Alt P). Benefit here is if you now save file, close it and change original, next time you open blend file with proxy object it has changes you’ve done incorporated.

Thanks Eppo,
I have been using the Proxy dealeo. What “IT” was that I was also bringing things like empty’s so Blender would not allow me to create a Proxy because of it. I now bring in my objects, make each a proxy then create an empty to parent to and I have been good to go…
Thanks for checking in on me.
NC

Eppo do you know if I update the linked file to reflect in my proxy file? Or how does one adjust emitter and so forth of a proxy file once brought into another scene? Like my sun being brought into my scene needs adjusting
NM - Yes edit the original and it affects the Proxy. I cranked it PINK to see if it was doing it, since I did not see any change with slight adjustments to the orig.

Aha… So that cousin was Empty… :smiley: never would have thought about. Glad you solved… wait… is “IT” ok here? :smiley:

haha “IT” is all good here. One must first import and then with each object make Proxy then create a new Empty and Parent to it. For those searching and reading this LONG thread. :rolleyes: