City Hall Exterior Lamp

The last week, for me, has been about lighting. After I finished up laying out a first draft blueprint for the front facade of my Autumn City Hall, I needed a break from looking at lines.

I decided to sketch some lamps for the exterior wall near the front door. This is one of the designs I came up with. This is modeled and rendered in Blender and textured using Substance Painter.

Attachments

Dude, this looks amazing! Modelling, shaders, textures, everything. I can’t think of anything to critique.

Really well done both in the lightiing and the modeling/texturing. I’m curious on how you modeled the leaf…or is it sculpted?

Thanks so much for the compliments! The leaf is modeled with a solidify and subsurface modifier.

Only crit is that the light emission does not seem strong enough in the night render, but otherwise everything looks quite good.

Thanks. I tried to keep in mind the fact that lamps in the 19th century had lower light output because of the technology so I wanted to keep this as historically accurate as possible, but as an artistic image, I agree that the emission could be stronger.

Very nice! This is really realistic. :slight_smile: Great job.

Looks really good, I had a look at substance painter you mentioned, that looks interesting will have to have a play at some point, I was wondering how best to go about the texturing when I come to it, I’ve only done small pieces until now and it’s not been a problem but this looks worth a look, love the texture on the sunset and night lamp, looks great.

looking nice !

only thing is for the night scene
the back plate should be all lit up !

happy cl

They’re having an amazing flash sale right now for Substance Painter. You can find tutorials on youtube here:

My texturing changes with every project. I spend a lot of time on building nodes, but it always starts simply. Substance Painter, for edge wear, relies a lot on curvature maps which Blender doesn’t do at the moment. The closest is using dirty vertex colors, but I’ve found that to be insufficient. Substance Designer and Bitmap2Material both have that ability, but I haven’t purchased them. Xnormal is the other popular program for it, but it’s only for PCs.