LinuxMint 17.1 rebbeca, OpenGL Nvidia-card, Blender 2.72

If someone has the same problem like me: I have updated my linuxMint 17 to 17.1 Rebbeca and now my Blender don’t want use my openGL with my Nvidia GraphicCard?

User prefs -> only no peripherique => CPU

I have remove my driver and re-install them => nothing, always the same!
What’s going on there?

Google for “mint blacklist nouveau” - i remember having this but i haven’t upgraded for a looong time…
Drivers are better to get direct from NV however there is possibility that something goes wrong- i keep latest i know it works around.

Thks appo…what release for you now: “i keep latest i know it works around.”

eppo,

Please, I have downloaded the last Nvidia driver directly here:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/533434/linux/current-graphics-driver-releases/

I have installed but Blender is not corrected for openGL 96CUDA Core. blender continue to not see and use my openGL nvidia graphic card. Weird!

I think a video lib lacks to find the compute device in the Rebbeca OS! but what lib?

The “only render” button on the propertie N panel in the 3Dview don’t run in BI, Cycle, BGE!
When I clic it, my cube disappears!!!

I have nv GTX560 2 GB card and the driver version is 343.22 according to what nv control panel says.

What i thought, nouveau driver is FOSS substitute for the proprietary nvidia driver and is known to be hard to get rid of if it comes included in distro. Even if nvidia’s driver is installed nouveau might override that. Blender would never run CUDA if there is no nvidia driver present, so…To get sure there is no trace of nouveau it is “blacklisted” from loading upon system startup. Only then you can be sure that’s nvidia’s driver what causes problems.
Take a look at this http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/176

Yes me too, my Nvidia driver control panel say me 343.22 but say me too “it’s not a Nvidia original driver!”

But your proposal action is nice! I have understand this “blacklisted feature”.
I hope all is ok after that! I make notes of what I change…
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Hi, I also have the same problem, but I fix it by using driver 304.

Hello.
You open the terminal and copy here the result of the next commands to give us information about your system:

lspci | grep -i vga

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version

sudo dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia

In what version of Ubuntu is based that version of Mint?

You could try first uninstalling any nvidia driver you have installed. Then you add the Xorg Edgers PPA repository:

and install the nvidia driver 340.65. Once the driver is installed, disable the Xorg Edgers repository. Also you download and install the “nvidia-modprobe” deb package:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/nvidia-modprobe

Reboot the system.

@Kevin Thanks, but I try what say YAFU

@YAFU Ha! you are my Savior…I try and let you know…At soon!

I used Mac for long time, then Vista since 10 years and now LinuxMint since 1 year…it’s new for me.

There’a a problem with the last version of the nVidia driver. Firt of all get rid of absolutely anything connected to the Nouveau drivers. They interfere with the proprietary nVidia drivers. You dont need nouveau, and you don’t want it.

Next, there are some packages you need to install. Open a terminal, then do the following:

apt-get install nvidia-331 bumblebee
apt-get install nvidia-331-uvm
apt-get install libcuda1-331

(Some of this may already be installed, but that doesn’t matter.)

Finally, to make sure these additions are loaded into the kernel before the GUI loads, edit the file /etc/rc.local. If pluma is your text editor, execute this command in the terminal:

sudo pluma /etc/rc.local

Edit the file, so that it looks like this:

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.
modprobe nvidia
modprobe nvidia-uvm
exit 0

Restart Linux Mint.

Thanks Klutz,

But you tell of driver 331(before I had it with Nvidia server) and YAFU driver 340.65 and Kevin driver 304…and mine is 343.36 [Current official release: 343.36 ( x86_64)] today (don’t run!).
I don’t understand what choose now? Your explanations are clear and I understand the “Nouveau” problem now.

But what to choose? …yours?

I can just confirm to you that in Kubuntu what I have told you before works for me (with nvidia driver 340.65). Remember also install the “nvidia-modprobe” package, which is required starting from 331 version.
Also you before doing what I had said, you should properly uninstall all drivers that you have tried so far, even if you have installed from run file. Then install the new driver from xorg edgers ppa.

Just try to put 343 where I had 331, e.g. apt-get install nvidia-343-uvm and nvidia-331 bumblebee. If you can’t install libcuda-1-343 in the terminal, you’ll find it in the synaptic installer. (You could acutally install all these packages with Synaptic, if you’re more comfortable with it.)

And yeah, also install nvidia-modprobe. I’m not sure it’s needed, but it won’t do any harm.

@Klutz, I’m lost here. Why bumblebee? Does Spirou4D a laptop with Optimus technology?

I don’t understand the question. But installing these packages doesn’t do any harm, as long as you don’t uninstall others. They may replace some packages with more recent versions, but that’s ok. If you don’t know what Bumblebee is, just look it up in Synaptic or google nvidia bumblebee.

Hi all,

I am not on a laptop with Optimus technology but on tower station with Intel Bi-quad Q9600 2.66 ghz / 8Go ram Nvidia GT630 4 Go VRAM 96 CUDA core!
Bon! I must choose…wait and see! Thanks yet for all your answers very friendly!
Bye bye
Spirou4D

Hi YAFU + Klutz:

==============================================
patrinux@patrinux-ordi ~ $ lspci | grep -i vga
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 630] (rev a1)

patrinux@patrinux-ordi ~ $ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  340.65  Tue Dec  2 09:50:34 PST 2014
GCC version:  gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) 

patrinux@patrinux-ordi ~ $ sudo dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia

ii  bbswitch-dkms            0.7-2ubuntu1                           Interface on/off nVidia Optimus video cards

ii  libcuda1-331             331.113-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
rc  nvidia-331               331.113-0ubuntu0.0.4                   NVIDIA binary driver - 331.113  343.36
rc  nvidia-libopencl1-331    331.113-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1        NVIDIA OpenCL Driver and ICD Loader library
ii  nvidia-opencl-icd-331    331.113-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1        NVIDIA OpenCL ICD

rc  libcuda1-340             340.65-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1         NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
ii  nvidia-340               340.65-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1         NVIDIA binary driver - version 340.65
ii  nvidia-340-uvm           340.65-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1         NVIDIA Unified Memory kernel module

rc  nvidia-343               343.36-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1         NVIDIA binary driver - version

ii  nvidia-settings          346.22-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1         Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver

ii  nvidia-prime             0.6.2linuxmint1                        Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
rc  nvtv                     0.4.7-8                                Tool TV chips on NVidia cards under Linux

As you see YAFU, all is ok like you have ask me but Blender don’t use my card!!!
BUT I HAVE UNDERSTAND: there are a lot of blended elements between 340, 331, 340, 343 and 346! I mean it’s cause may be?

It seems that you do not have installed the “nvidia-modprobe” package as I had indicated. Download and install this package from the link I gave you. Then reboot the system.

Edit: It seems that you have a mix of installed versions of some components (I do not think that’s the problem, but it’s better you have all the same version)
With Xorg Edgers repository enabled, you do “sudo apt-get update” (you do NOT do “sudo apt-get upgrade”). Then you open your package manager, you search for “nvidia” and update components to version “340.65”, for example " libcuda1", “nvidia-libopencl1” and “nvidia-opencl-icd”. Then disable xorg edgers ppa.

Edit 2:
Other thing, download official blender tar.bz2 file and try with it executing de “blender” file (not with blenedr from repositories)

For me this looks like you have not installed libcuda1-340 and nvidia-343 drivers - rc before likely is a shortcut of “recommended” ii being “is installed”
Then again it is just dpkg information and depending on if it is distro or nvidia’s pack you have installed dpkg might not show what’s actually running. At least here dpkg shows info from the last century; i rely on nvidia’s control panel.

P.S. Btw Bumblebee presents it selves as “Service providing elegant and stable means of managing Optimus graphics chipsets” if that matters.

Hey YAFU, it’s ok now:

patrinux@patrinux-ordi ~ $ lspci | grep -i vga
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108 [GeForce GT 630] (rev a1)

patrinux@patrinux-ordi ~ $ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  340.65  Tue Dec  2 09:50:34 PST 2014
GCC version:  gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1) 

patrinux@patrinux-ordi ~ $ sudo dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia

ii  bbswitch-dkms                                0.7-2ubuntu1                                        amd64        Interface for toggling the power on nVidia Optimus video cards
rc  libcuda1-331                                 331.113-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1                     amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
ii  libcuda1-340                                 340.65-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1                      amd64        NVIDIA CUDA runtime library
rc  nvidia-331                                   331.113-0ubuntu0.0.4                                amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 331.113
ii  nvidia-340                                   340.65-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1                      amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 340.65
ii  nvidia-340-uvm                               340.65-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1                      amd64        NVIDIA Unified Memory kernel module
rc  nvidia-343                                   343.36-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1                      amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 343.36
rc  nvidia-libopencl1-331                        331.113-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1                     amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL Driver and ICD Loader library
ii  nvidia-libopencl1-340                        340.65-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1                      amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL Driver and ICD Loader library
ii  nvidia-modprobe                              340.24-1                                            amd64        utility to load NVIDIA kernel modules and create device nodes
rc  nvidia-opencl-icd-331                        331.113-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1                     amd64        NVIDIA OpenCL ICD
ii  nvidia-prime                                 0.6.2linuxmint1                                     amd64        Tools to enable NVIDIA's Prime
ii  nvidia-settings                              346.22-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.1                      amd64        Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
rc  nvtv                                         0.4.7-8                                             amd64        tool to control TV chips on NVidia cards under Linux

YAFU, your proposals was excellent! Thks, it’s clear with you. I have made all the corrections and now all run.
Thanks eppo for your explanation about ii and rc but 340 is a good release, I stay with it now!