To place 3D cursor.

I would like to put 3D cursor precisely on objects, but it is allways 1,2 … 10 cm above objects.
Is it possible to place 3D cursor right on the object?

Then my added objects are flying…

Thanks.

Make sure you have turned on ‘Curser depth’ in User Preferences / Interface.
This way in solid view the curser should always be on the surface you left-click.

If you want the cursor to snap to a face / edge / vertex or something in object mode …, select the item and press Shift S - Cursor to selected.

My cursor depth is OK, left click and right click is the same.
Cursor is on all my PC all Blender versions above surface.
I think it is normal Blender behavior, but it is wrong.

I’m not sure I know what you mean. How can it be wrong when Blender is the only 3D app that uses a 3D cursor? :slight_smile:

And just so I can get a better idea of what you mean:
When you say, “I would like to put 3D cursor precisely on objects” are you talking about:

• a surface face?
  • a vertex or line that’s part of an object? or
  • the pivot point of the object?

English is not my native language, sorry.

I use to put objects into my scenes by using “Blend Library plugin” - very useful plugin.
Click, click, click … scene is finished.
It puts object on 3D cursor.

But 3d cursor after click on surface is not on surface… this is problem

And I would like to see cursor on surface, not 10 cm above surface…

I don’t know to explain it better, but 6 cm is different from 0 cm.

Look at my image: added objects are flying…

You could snap the objects on surface by turning the snap mode on.
Otherwise you can still manually edit the 3d cursor coordinates in the properties window (press N in 3d viewer).

Face snapping works. Placing the cursor on a surface also works but the view has to be aligned with the surface.

Try snapping the cursor to the grid:

Shift S -> Cursor To Grid.

From what I understand, you want to place the 3d cursor directly on the surface of a floor or table, because the plugin you’re using places objects exactly above the cursor.

What I do, is going to edit mode, select a vertex/edge/face, press shift-S, “cursor to selected”. This will place the cursor at the selected point, and not at the center of the object. You can easily adjust the x and y location of the cursor later when you’re going back to object mode, to position it on the right spot of the table/floor. This is also usefull when you want to place something in the middle of a asymetrical object.

I’m not sure which elements in the picture are your objects; none of them seem to be hovering (or flying) above any surface. BUT…

I think I understand now what you’re looking for.

You want objects to be in full contact with the floor, right?

So, with that in mind:

• make sure the origin of your object is at the bottom of the object,
  • snap the cursor to center (or set N-panel > 3D Cursor > Z to 0)
  • then import the object,
  • snap object to cursor.

Does that do it?

Thanks all of you for advices, but this is difficult, it takes much time.

My idea was to click to place 3D cursor on surface = 0,1 sec. and
by using “Blend Library plugin” to put new objects from library of external *.blend files = 0,1 sec.

The fact that 3D cursor is placed X centimeters above surface after clicking is BUG for me.

to fix 10 minutes his position doesn’t have sence for me.

I will try this : Enhanced 3D Cursor script

@Sackadoo: a lot of objects in my image are flying: plate, banana, chinese rose … 1 - 10 cm …

Thanks

Yes, I confirm the wrong behavior, sometimes more sometime less, I can’t figure out what matters here, I tried changing the subdivisions of objects, the distance of view, nothing seems relevant.

BTW, It’s incredible how people is reluctant to say, “yes, you are right”, and rather gives weird ‘workarounds’ for malfunctioning.

paolo

Big uppercased BUGs belong to bug tracker. Blender help menu -> report a bug. If the report gets confirmed state, it’s a bug. Other users can’t confirm a bug but can help to confirm the behaviour and help to find ways to do it meanwhile.

Saying something is a bug here is as useful as telling that to a wall next to you, so post a report and maybe post link to that report here so others can comment on it. That way it’s possible the behaviour gets changed. The report might get rejected (the behaviour goes many versions back) but it’s only necessary to try.

The thing is the OP is being stubborn despite post # 6 and #7 giving him easy solution, in his scene he can go in top view and place the cursor on any surface.

@JA12,

If people can confirm or disprove a bad malfunctioning (I never spoke of bug) can be useful to the poster to know if he is doing something wrong, and if the case to report a bug; workarounds, although helpful, doesn’t help to solve the specific question.

paolo

Enhanced 3D Cursor (part of Blender but turned off)

It works well immediately after initialization without any configuration.

Cursor is placed precisely on surface without restrictions (need to be aligned with the surface, for example)

I think it should be default 3Dcursor behaviour.

Thanks