displacement, deformation, noise - best way?

Hallo Guys,

one thing i never really managed to make in blender properly is the animated deformation of a plane with noise.
I tried the displacement modifier with textures but it is not possible to animate or change the seed of the noise to animate it.
I tried ocean sim, which is really cool if you want an ocean, but it diesnt work with different algorithms.

And i tried the cycles way which so far seems to be verry limited. I didn’t find a way to use custom algorithms and i couldn’t scale the hight of the displacement and the animation was also not possible.

The last thing i tried was Sverchok. I managed to deform a mesh with noise but so far couldnt animate it.

Here is an video which shows what effect i like to create with the possibility to layer different algorithms and animate it.

https://mega.co.nz/#!V4URUIyZ!RSsJeQE-3HFgjQtIC4BrS_YhyY5N-xtpnd7jGPcgiTI

Any ideas how to solve my needs?

Maybe i should mention, if somebody knows of another renderer or tool which i can integrate into blender that would be great, too.

You can use a Displace modifier with a texture that you animate.
What do you want to do exactly?

hey there,
i tried that one but didnt manage to animate it properly. i only could animate it in the y or x axis but wanted to do something which the direction is not recognizable. today i realised that i can shift the noise into the z direction. this gives the whole displacement the look that the algorithm itself is animated. the other thing i realised today, is that you also can animate the size of the noise with an object so that the limited size settings do not matter.

this is really a great day for me since i try to do this with blender since years. i didnt knew it was so easy. some more algorithms would be great.

here is an example blend file displace_blender_005.blend (472 KB)

and here is a small example video where i set the offset and the size of the noise with a cube:

I also find a way to do it in cycles. This Z-Offset is really the key :).

Hi, you could link the displacement modifier to an empty and animate that empty (move, rotate, scale). This way you’d easily animate the displacement.