Strange artifacts on rendering hard surface modeling

I am having quite a strange problem with the way my model renders. After modeling one of the objects of my scene, I created a quick light/camera setup to check the result of some hard surface modelling. When I set the 3D window to Render View, I get the object with what appears to be a scratches texture

the problem is that the object doesn’t have any material applied; I have literally only done the modeling; when I apply some material to the surfaces, the material gets applied but underneath I can clearly see the “scratches”.

I have tried to append the geometry into a brand new file, and the problem appears to be bound to the geometry itself; the geometry is not perfect (it is mostly quads) but I don’t think the problem is related to topology, for it happens with any object in the scene (including a satellite dish model with perfect topology). An interesting clue is that the actual render appears to be totally clean of any artifact.

I know this problem is not a deal breaker (specially since it doesn’t seem to show in the final render), but I really would like to know what the solution to this quaint problem is.

Blend file available on request.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Sept

Is that possibly an issue with the scale of your scene? How large is it, and how far away from the origin of the scene are your models?

Meshes can sometimes have issues when they start to come apart if the numerical precision used to specify the co-ords of each vertex isn’t sufficient (which happens further away from the origin)

May be that it is being rendered in orthographic view?

paolo

Is it possible there are co-incidental vertices throughout the mesh. For example, a Shift-D, while in edit mode and left the two meshes in the same place?

It’s all about scale of the scene and light. Try to modify

Thanks very much for your answer. Do you mean it is a problem with the transforms in Object Mode? All the transforms are applied; the measurements of the object are based on real life; I am modeling a satellite dish, and the measures are in metric, in cms for the pieces are never larger than 80 cms. Concerning the lights, I just place a sun and pointed it roughly in the objects direction; I am still in the modelling process, I just wanted to setup something quickly to check the render as I model. But after I read your post I added a proper 3-point light and the problem persisted.

You either have a scene scale that is breaking floating point precision, or you’re in orthographic view.

No need to apologize: It’s hard to find a search term for this and the forum search can be a bit weird at times. Good to hear that this is resolved!