Rich Corinthian Leather Couch

Haven’t posted anything in about 6 years, so now seems like a good time.

Still working on this, but want to let it sit for a bit and come back to it.

I’m fairly happy with the overall model as well as the leather (though it could use a little work on the spec map).

I’m not happy with the procedural wood texture, so I’ll probably retry that entirely.

I would like to add a couple of throw pillows as well as some finer sculpted detail into the woodwork.

I plan to work into an actual scene when I’m finally happy with it.

Amazing!! I though this was a reference photo. :slight_smile: Other than the wood texture which you mentioned, this is so realistic. Great job!

Any chance you could show a node screen shot on the leather? … it really looks nice.

Personally I’ve never been a fan of procedural wood, this is a nice enough model, I think I would find a nice wood texture image instead.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Here is a pic showing the node setup as well as the reference photo I was working with.

Two image textures were used in the setup:

1. A normal map generated from a seamless leather texture.
  2. A specular map generated from a seamless grunge texture.

Both were sourced from CGTextures.com

Thanks for breakdown on the leather Sypher. I’m quickly learning how challenging modeling traditional / antique furniture is.

Just wondering what method do you use for making those seams that protrude outside the cushion like the seams you see in the inset picture in your first post.

Sure. So essentially I have two different kinds of seams going on:

Both are essentially three tight loop cuts with the middle cut popped out a bit using “Shrink/Flatten” (Alt-S) and pulling it away just slighly.

Both kinds also have the outer loops creased (Ctrl-E, Make Crease) in order to really define the seam.

With the first kind (circled in red), I kept the middle loop cut centered. This makes it look like a puffy seam.

In the other kind (circled in green), I shifted the loop really far to one side by using loop slide (GG). This makes it look like a more standard seam where one piece of fabric is folded over another.

After finalizing the model, I think that I could simplify all of that geometry a bit by baking that detail down to a normal map and combining it with the base leather normal map (probably via an RGB mix node, or combine them in Gimp).

Hey thanks again Sypher, that’s a great explanation. Noticed your from Illinois. I lived in Illinois for many years … .western and northern suburbs of Chicago.

Oh cool, me too. Living in Lincoln Square in Chicago right now, but went to NIU and after graduating lived in/around DeKalb for quite a while.

Updated the wood parts and placed it in a room. Still figuring out the antique/painted wood look.

Next task is to add some throw pillows and start working up the rest of the scene.

Slowly coming together! I think I need to add some wall art, a lamp on the end table, a coffee table, and then onto smaller objects.