Using Blender as a Media Converter

Hi, I have some MKV files that I want to convert into MOV files in blender. I adjusted quite a few settings, and got the video, more or less, at the same quality of the original file…(only a lot bigger) However, there’s just one small problem. The colour is a bit different. When Blender converts the file, the colours become slightly brighter. What kind of settings can I change to keep the colour pallette exactly the same as the source file? Also, is there any way to maintain picture quality in the media conversion, and make these files smaller? Thanks for the help.

You will be better of by using a program ment for converting video files.

I can’t really find a good free one for Apple. In fact, the reason I’m using Blender is that it’s the only free option I know of. (there’s Handbrake, but you can’t get around distorting the aspect ratio.) You used to be able to open up a mkv file in Quicktime using Perian and saving it as an MOV, but development on Perian has ceased, and doesn’t work with OS X Yosemite.

What aspect ratio issues are you having with Handbrake? I’ve never had any issues with it, it’s pretty much the exact tool for what you want to do.

Do you have a video editor that will play that file? Can you export it out as a JPG2000 or AVI Uncompressed not to lose anything, to then use across most platforms?

I need the aspect ratio at 1920x1080. Unfortunately, in Handbrake, it won’t change from 1920x1036.

Okay, so I was able to figure out the aspect ratio problem…but there’s still the issue of colour in handbrake…although not as noticeable, there’s a slight loss in colour quality when using the program.

try playing the video with some players that is not Quicktime. I suggest XMplayer, and see if the color issue is still there…

Actually, my default media player is VLC. I noticed the colour change when I did a real-time preview in HandBrake. It happens when HandBrake converts the file.

oh well vlc screws colors on my mac. just give a try to an Mplayer based player