Emission light not visible

Hi everyone,

I’m stuck with a problem that drives me really nuts. I’m working on a christmas scene with two chain of lights. The small light bulbs are emissions. So far so good. Suddenly those emission lights don’t work anymore. I see just little dots of light and that’s it. I didn’t do any changes to the light setting at all. That’s one of the reason why it drives me nuts.

That’s what I tried so far:

• compare the light setup with previous stored versions - no changes
  • checked almost all setups with changing values where light is involved as far as I understood what it does - no changes
  • load all items into a brand new blend file - no changes
  • install blenders lates version - no changes
  • try another emission object - works, but only if it is really big
  • change the strength value to over 2.000.000 for the light bulbs - no changes
  • render previous versions - same result

My suggestion is that this is a setting problem as it occurs everywhere. I hope that anyone of you has an idea. If you want to checkout the file you can download it here:

https://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/e41a098cd25851f69cbbb8dea689d7fb20141216111121/458b0381de4716fa33e4b31a9b1c3d5020141216111121/90717c

It’s a reduced version of the scene, just to check the light setup. I’m happy for any suggestion.

Xerubian

Hi there, I just did a quick test. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think it’s because of the changes you did to the window glass. The small lights reappear when I hide the window.

I think that could be the trick. I need to check that when I’m back on Friday.

thanks minoribus

Hey minoribus,

I tested it now and it’s not solving the problem. The material is absolutely unchanged since created. I double checked the previous versions on that point.
I tried it with glas and just transparent as materials but the materials don’t work. As you did before I also just took out the window but the result is the same. The lamps are just not spreading the light outside of the emission object. Maybe to give an impression of what it should be:

I also checked if the light bulb material did change. Same thing. Only option I have is to use other light sources to simulate the emission to get the same atmosphere. Doesn’t look as nice as the emission do but it’s my last option. There are just two days left for the competition and I need one day for the final render.

Xerubian

In the materials of your lights, you have the IsDiffuse setting the shader to nothing. This means, whenever a diffuse ray hits the light, the light material will return nothing, and the material which has thrown the diffuse ray, will not recieve any light.

Imo, I would remove the mixshader completly and leave the emission alone.
Another possibility would be to connect the emission shader to the second socket, and put a transparent in the first socket. This however will make the light invisible to reflections, so for the factor of the mixshader, you can had the IsDiffuse to the IsGlossy with the math node.

Hope this fixes the scene, and good luck for the contest :wink:

Hi Secrop,

well your explanation makes sense, even when it worked before :smiley:

I tried the setting you suggested but it didn’t work as well. But besides that I found the actual issue causing all this. I used the snow material setup from Kaluura and when I take this out, all is shown fine. I already found some alternatives, so this will be my solution.

Thanks, I’ll do my best for the competition :yes:
Xerubian