Metaballs in Blender?

Does anybody actually use them? If so, for what? Personally, I.ve never found any use for them, but that may just be my lack of imagination.
(And please, don’t start a flame war about the pros and cons, I’m just genuinely interested to hear what they may be good for in everyday use.)

In the “olden days” (pre-2.5X) I used metabals in combination with particles to create liquid/mud.

I experimented with using metaballs in a particle system to create snow-layers some time ago but I never really got it to work correctly and it crashed more often than not (Blender 2.5x.)

I imagine that if a developer updated the code a bit to make it more stable you could actually use them for some nice things.

I believe this was made with metaballs:

Metaballs can be very useful in very specific types of animations, but mainly they’re good for blocking out organic shapes, being converted into a proper mesh and then sculpted. Some examples of where they can be useful in other ways:

-Cell division animation
-Raindrops on a window (use a hair particle system, they combine nicely to form droplets with the right settings)
-Animating the join between two surfaces

You’re right, they aren’t really used that much. But they are useful. Its a shame they can really slow down a system. On the bright side, blender’s metaballs are the most efficient I’ve come across. I don’t like maya’s, or vray’s.

Really I would rather they replace metaballs with something more like a metamesh capable of representing a volume of any shape. Imagine the use for things like meshing multi-jointed curves (think skin modifier but far superior). Modifiers that work like displacement but never self intersect since the displacement occurs to the underlying volume data. Etc.