J-58/ SR-71 Blackbird

Modeled a J-58 Turbo Ramjet Engine, and because it powered the SR-71 Blackbird, I made a render with both engines in a basic airframe for the aircraft.

Nice engine!
It differs from all other jet engines: was prepared for continuous work at Mach 3.2 - the speed never reached by the ordinary fighter aircraft even for a moment. The normal air temperature inside its compressor was about 430 Celsius…

I suppose that these small pipes in the front section require a lot of work. However, on the real engines they were combined even in a more complex assembly. Did you use this Wikipedia photo as the reference?:

The “plumbing” on its front part looks like a small “jungle” of various pipes, valves, aggregates and connectors. A real nightmare to recreate in a 3D model :).

know what you mean tried to do a model of a jet engine once did most of the internal combustion and the shell but, never did the fuel line or components that ran the engine
one of my first hard surface models done about 2 years ago
used like 4-6 different engines to model one so its a engine that does not exists in real life
you can see the shell in my sketch book i might take it apart and continue working on it sometime in the near future

Great job on the engine.

There is a local museum here that has a SR-71 in it and I recall standing there looking at the tubes (can’t say i know what any of them are for) in utter amazement at the engineering that must have went into that thing. You have done a great job reconstructing it here.

What type of reference did you have to work with?

Wow, very impressive! :slight_smile:

Thanks, and Yes, I did use the photo off of Wikipedia as reference.