Setting a 3D Voxel Game apart?

What is your all opinions on setting a 3d voxel game apart from Minecraft or Cubeworld? There are so many voxel ripoffs of Minecraft that I don’t want to use much of its style, but once you start using more voxels it looks like Cubeworld. :stuck_out_tongue: Any ideas of aesthetics that would make a game different? Obviously game-play would also matter, but most would just look at the screenshots and sigh, if it looks like MC or CW. What I want to do is eventually make an open world RPG with Blender and UE4. Thanks!

^This is the kind of art style I am working with.

something, using more shapes, like a tetris style world.

and making it all rigid bodies when “broken off”

Bullet 3 + a good GPU = possible

also, you are going to want to do - > align piece, raycast (swap pieces) parent

so you can delete faces that are not view-able

another thing,

have all objects switch places as you move (the player is standing still)

this way, there is only X objects ever,

you will need a 3d table of objects… it will be tricky.

imagine all the blocks are already there for a 60x60x60 and they can have (invisible) or UV texture remap
and physics adjustments every frame

Check out Stonehearth. I also have a 30ep training series making a game with a similar visual style coming out in a few months. It is in for editing atm. There are also already engines out there for modeling voxel and making voxel games. Can’t remember the names of by heart but I know there are tons of links in the Stonehearth forums.

Main thing: Ditch the classic Minecraft/Terraria clone aesthetic and go for something very different. Different. Make it based on some alien world, not a standard Earth-like terrain or something. Basically don’t copy that art style.

Any voxel-based game will be called a Minecraft clone. They defined that graphical style. Stay away from it as much as possible – keep it your own :slight_smile:

Argh, I forgot about that too… Basically no medieval, voxel games. :frowning: Love to watch the series when it comes out.

How would I go about being different while maintaining the voxel aesthetics though? I know I want it to be on diffrent planets, and use bright colors.

Keep the voxels, just do different things with them. I’ve never really seen a voxel game with buildings/cities (other than those which had been built in minecraft). Make art assets which are original and not seen in other games.

I know I want it to be on diffrent planets, and use bright colors.

That’ll be good

I have never seen a scifi voxel game… :eyebrowlift2: hmmmm…

Also does anyone have a recommendation for a good Voxel engine, or is UE4 a good choice?

It exists.

Sorry. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

A good idea for a 3D voxel game is to go for something other than firstperson. That’s the trap they all fall into, and they all end up being Minecraft clones.
My recommendation is either a topdown game, or a 2.5D game. Maybe do a Fez kinda game? (just don’t do /everything/ Fez’s creator did c; )

I don’t think you need to justify using the style, provided that you’re using it for aesthetic / practical reasons, in lieu of “everybody’s doing it”.

I personally think it can have a nice look, though I tend to go for realism in CG.

what about a world, that you could destroy pieces, not build.

like metroid on crack…

Come on! :stuck_out_tongue: That sucks… Topdown 3D voxel though would be rough. :wink:

Your right, I just like it, and wish it was not so popular…