Digital Tutors: Blender and Maya

Have you guys seen this article on Digital-Tutors yet?

LINK

interesting post and interesting comment section :smiley:

one thing he probably should have mentioned is that blenders hotkey set is superior to mayas

I think this has already been posted somewhere.
“Digital Tutors comparison between Maya and Blender functionalities” would have been a good title.

Mark Masters:
Both 3D applications are extremely powerful and both have their strong areas. If you haven’t used Blender before these are a few areas you might find a little more intuitive and easier to use.”

Blender is not better than Maya, and Maya is not better than Blender, they both have better functionalities/workflows in different areas.

I can agree this is a pleasant reading for a Blender fan though :slight_smile:

I’m not 100% sure, but I think you may have seen it on BlenderNation. I’m pretty sure that’s where I saw it originally, about a month and a half ago.

It was the article that finally explained to me why RMB is used for select. I finally got down off my high horse and tried it and even though I still slip once in a while and try to select with LMB, I am getting used to it. I’m even thinking that when/if the devs switch to LMB-select as the default, I may not go back… unless they also switch translation to RMB. :slight_smile:

Went ahead and changed the title, considering the original is blatantly against forum rules, but the content of the article is not. Avoid the flame bait-y titles in the future, you’ve been here long enough to know better than that.

Hmm…
I have not read the whole article, but the first section touting single object edit mode as a good thing and not a hindrance was enough for me to skip the rest…

Amen…

Also the right mouse selection is mentioned like a step forward… I don’t use Blender for this features and IMO this article is

is counterproductive for the Blender cause.

This article is for blender tutorials, they want to sold their tutorials.

They should have highlighted the real benefits of Blender then, like pretty decent integrated sculpting/texture painting and the good enough (for most stuff) and fast Cycles render engine, good enough compositing, integrated 3d tracker etc.

Later in another article with a new tutorial on compositing ^^

It’s business, it’s just a way to sold tutorials.

Sorry, I just named the thread according to the image they posted in the article… which I’m sure is click bait on their end. Interesting read though and yes, they have Blender tutorials now so they are in “sales” mode. I’m a member and this was in their newsletter last week. They have decent tuts but I think BlenderCookie’s stuff is much better imo.