[Tutorial+Script] - Textured Light for Cycles!

Hi Guys!
This tutorial show how set a texture in a Lamp.

Script:http://www.pasteall.org/55748

Full HD, Spanish audio. 8 minutes.

I found a problem with projectors, the image is deformed.
Example:

But… I have the solution! :yes::
You must separate the normal, divide channels and merge again.
Divide x/z and y/z…
See the image!

Happy blending.

Wow this a great add Cycles had been missing thanks Eugenio :slight_smile:

double post

Attachments

Nice! Just working on a projection mapping previs and I thought I’d have to resort to the Blender Render without all that raytracy goodness :slight_smile:

With a little tweaking it’s possible to make the light act just like a projector.

To get the right aspect ratio I just put a 16:9 image in a square texture, to focus the image the light size has to be 0, to center the image X & Y mapping location has to be set to 0.5 and to avoid repetition I just turned on Min and Max in mapping. However I had to leave a little of black space around the image so it doesn’t get stretched out. Is it possible to change the way cycles clamps textures?

Anyway, thanks a lot for this!

Very nice!!!

I update the post!
Greetings

Are you using a driver on the rotation of the Mapping node?

Hi all.
I just pass 2 hours trying this without success. I read some tutorials, do all steps like indicated, including this one, no one works for me. At best I got a partial image projected, the rest is deformed.

• The procedure from the actual manual don’t work eighter.
    But the main problem to me is that the image projected moves with the mesh Light in the scene but don’t rotate with it. We need a trick to make the image’s position and rotation is relative to the spotlight’s target. Then we have a real projector.

• I think it’s a important thing missing in Blender. To reproduce a light source like a flash light or a car light, we need a map to give the shape we want to this light. Many light source gives specific shape and not a perfect uniform disc.

• For now the best solution is to use IES light. Not as projector lights but at least it gives more realistic lamps.
    Look here: http://www.blendernation.com/2013/01/29/add-on-ies-files-in-cycles/

OK forget my comment.

• In 5 minutes, I add an Image As Plane, load my image, connect to a Transparent Shader, make it really small (so I don’t need to hide it), put it right in front of the spotlight (size 0 for sharp image projection, or a little size to blur the image if needed), make the image-plane child to light-parent. It works exactly like a gobo in the real world.
  • Now I can move and rotate the projector how much I want, the image projects perfectly and is clear.

The selected square is the gobo, the image plane, just in the front of the tube mesh and the spotlight. So small that it hides inside the tube. Just link it to the tube and you just have to mive the tube like a flashlight.
The only downside I see is that we cannot blur the shadow by increasing the spotlight shadow size. Then it blurs the projected image.
I add nodes: a Curve and an Hue Saturation node for fine-tuning on the scene.

Hi all,

raising this thread from the dead to point to the fact that to project correctly, the rotation order for the texture coordinates must be the same as the rotation order of the lamp object, otherwise you’ll get interpolation issues when animating beyond 90 degrees on inner gimbal axes (by default, Y and X).

Example using the rotation node groups from blender cookie :
http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=43600

Fake caustics using image sequence :

Nice, I was looking to do something like that, thanks for bumping.