Slow CUDA 3d viewport render speed GTX 860M ??? so slow?

I have an old GTX 570 and a simple scene takes 27 seconds.
My students laptop is a

Lenovo 50 70
Windows 8.1 64bit
GTX 860M

and his render time is 65 seconds.

But when we do a full render speed then the values are better.
any idea what could slow down the 3d viewport render speed?

Also CPU rendering there is slower!

You are comparing a laptop graphics card with a desktop graphics card… not to mention that the 5xx series was a beast at rendering…

Moreover, rendering via viewport brings in a whole host of other potential issues… can you do test renders via commandline and see what the speed difference is there?

I know the 860M is not the best, but viewport is slower than finale rendering with GPU - same settings.
So something must go on.

Also the CPU i7 is really slow oddly.

I have to google how I can do the commandline rendering.

It might be his power settings, to conserve power many laptops will throttle down the CPU and/or the GPU so the battery life will last longer?

Two things that would differ… static BVH vs dynamic BVH (actual rendering always uses static BVH over dynamic) and tile sizes… From Memory, the tile size for viewport is 100%… where as the tile sizes for rendering is that that is set… Try increasing the tile size.

Double

he used the same file I did for testing on my side. So I have to see if the other settings might change a little.

Grimm

I will google that or Win 8 and how to set this up. Win8 really seems to be quite annoying. The menu and text renderings are horrible.

GTX 570 is a considerably better GPU, so no surprises there.
Progressive render in the viewport works differently than a full render - that’s why
you can use tile sizes to your advantage only when doing the latter. It obviously doesn’t render
in tiles in the viewport.

Win 8(.1) is the best Microsoft OS so far, you just have to know how to use it.
Right click on the battery icon near the clock and select Power Options and then change plan settings.

but also his CPU rendering is oddly incredible slow.
I will tell him to look into the power option settings.

Looks like you are one of the view who like win 8 - they skipped 9 to go right to 10.